WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Omega Vintage watch database is missing some caseback references, is it safe to assume that for example, 168.005 (which does not appear on the database) was produced in 1962, if 168.002 and 168.006 were both produced in 1962 (both these references do appear on the database)? Were caseback references assigned in order that watches were produced, meaning that 168.005 would necessarily have been produced after 168.002 but before 168.006?

Also, if a watch was produced in say 1962 (e.g. 168.005, or 168.002), is that the only year it was produced? Or is that when production began i.e. it is possible the same watch was produced a year or two later?

As regards movement serial numbers, how accurate are the tables that can be found on the web etc which put certain ranges of serial numbers to years? i.e. if a serial number is 25,xxx,xxx does that mean it was necessarily from 1967, or just from there or there abouts?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
As the Omega Vintage watch database is missing some caseback references, is it safe to assume that for example, 168.005 (which does not appear on the database) was produced in 1962, if 168.002 and 168.006 were both produced in 1962 (both these references do appear on the database)?
Were caseback references assigned in order that watches were produced, meaning that 168.005 would necessarily have been produced after 168.002 but before 168.006?
I think it's fair to assume that a .005 was first produced in the same or later year than a .002 and, likewise, the same or earlier than a .006. Their may be exceptions but, on the whole, I think you're on the right track.
Also, if a watch was produced in say 1962 (e.g. 168.005, or 168.002), is that the only year it was produced? Or is that when production began i.e. it is possible the same watch was produced a year or two later?
The Vintage Watches section of omega's site typically lists a range of production years. For example, they show the 168.002 from 1962-66.

Incidentally, the 168.005 that you reference is listed and dated 1962-68.
As regards movement serial numbers, how accurate are the tables that can be found on the web etc which put certain ranges of serial numbers to years? i.e. if a serial number is 25,xxx,xxx does that mean it was necessarily from 1967, or just from there or there abouts?
Omega's table "Movement numbers and earliest production year" shows just that, the earliest production year and, even with that, I'd still use that as an estimate within a couple years.

I hope that helps!

eric

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I had no luck with my 168.005 in the database either so I sent an inquiry and received this information:

Reference number: CD 168.005

MOVEMENT
Caliber number: 561 / 564
Cal. 561
24 jewels, created in 1958
Cal. 564
24 jewels, created in 1965
Both with central sweep-second hand

DIAL
"Pie-pan" type, De Luxe version with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" gold hands.

CRYSTAL
Armoured hesalite

BRACELET
Leather

WATER RESISTANCE
30 meters

CASE
Gold-cap on stainless steel
Screw-in
Full metal

FUNCTIONS
Chronometer
Date

MORE PRODUCT INFORMATIONS
Case : round (34,2mm diameter), 14K yellow gold-cap on stainless steel, screw-in case back with "O-ring" gasket.
For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size
International Collection : 1962-1968
Swiss retail price (1962) : CHF 475.-
Also available in 18K solid gold (BA, BB or BC, CHF 980.- or CHF 1'230.-), 14K solid gold (BD, CHF 880.-), 14K pink gold-cap on stainless steel (CE, CHF 475.-) or stainless steel (ST, CHF 395.-).
Replaced former ref. KO 14902
Later replaced by ref. 168.015
JLM
This describes my watch reasonably well:

Fr. John+

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Odd

I had no luck with my 168.005 in the database either so I sent an inquiry and received this information...

Fr. John+
That's really odd. I thought that I might be losing it, but I just checked again, and...

I'm just using the Advanced Search and entering the ref. number.

eric

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
The "Advance Search" is much better...

The Omega Vintage Database does not have all of the various metals in which a specific model was avaliable, properly cross-referenced. Sometimes they are just listed under another metal.

You will have better results using the advanced search with either the ref. no. or the caliber (assuming you know one and not the other).

I've also had good results with the Jules Borel website. It has a reference of case ref. numbers (for Omega, at least) and matches the movement with the case. It has quite a few that have been left out of the Omega Database. Like this 168.025 for example:

It's not listed on the Omega site at all. As with Omega, you must register to use the Borel site, but it is free.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Eric,

Inspired by your success, I went back to vintage and tried the ref# again. This time it worked and I got the same results as you.

Dunno what I did wrong the first time. :-S

Fr. John+

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'm not special, after all.

Eric,

Inspired by your success, I went back to vintage and tried the ref# again. This time it worked and I got the same results as you.

Dunno what I did wrong the first time. :-S

Fr. John+
Dang, I thought I had found a secret portal into the mind of the fabled Mr. Ricky Omega! Oh well, glad it worked for you, John.

Eric

1 - 8 of 8 Posts