WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I posted this over in the Omega subforum and was directed here so here goes. I have an Omega that belonged to my grandfather and I don't really know any details about it. I don't know if it is real or fake to begin with so I thought coming here would be the best bet. Here are two poor quality cell photos I just took of it. The back of the case is so worn that it is just smooth and shiny. I can barely make out the number 518 on the bracelet right near the back of the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A kind gentleman over in the other section informed me that it is a 168.029 with a 751 movement. It looks like it is the gold plated version and not the solid gold. If anyone has any more information for me that would be awesome!

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Dr. Ranfft identifies the 751 as a day/date chronometer movement made in the late 60's/early 70's. Based on the style, that looks correct.

The 518 on the bracelet is the bracelet identification number... used for ordering additional links which are no longer available since few stock 40 year old casing/bracelet parts. You can find parts to keep movements running but casing/bracelet parts usually require donor watches.

This watch is from the golden era of Swiss watches... Omega used Constellation casing similar to this for some of their early quartz watches - which then cost as much as or more than this watch did new. And they encased a number of tuning fork models which were quite similar.

The gold was often 40 microns thick... it is not common for it to brass (wear through). So a soft polish may restore a great deal of the watches original luster!

Your grandfather had good taste in watches!! I hope you preserve this heirloom...

·
Registered
42 Posts
From the Omega database:

Constellation"C"
Reference: CD 168.0029
International collection: 1967
MovementType: Automatic chronometer certified
Caliber number: 751
Created in 1967
24 jewels
Central sweep-second hand
First day/date Omega caliber
Functions: Day-date, Chronometer
Case: Gold-cap on stainless steel
Case back: Screw-in
Dial: With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.
Crystal: Armoured hesalite
Bracelet: Leather
Water resistance: 30 meters

Desmond has some articles on his blog regarding both the Constellation C and 751:
Omega Constellation Collectors: The Constellation C-Shape Watch: Omega's Child of the Sixties
Omega Constellation Collectors: The Omega Constellation Calibre 751 Collection

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. Ranfft identifies the 751 as a day/date chronometer movement made in the late 60's/early 70's. Based on the style, that looks correct.

The 518 on the bracelet is the bracelet identification number... used for ordering additional links which are no longer available since few stock 40 year old casing/bracelet parts. You can find parts to keep movements running but casing/bracelet parts usually require donor watches.

This watch is from the golden era of Swiss watches... Omega used Constellation casing similar to this for some of their early quartz watches - which then cost as much as or more than this watch did new. And they encased a number of tuning fork models which were quite similar.

The gold was often 40 microns thick... it is not common for it to brass (wear through). So a soft polish may restore a great deal of the watches original luster!

Your grandfather had good taste in watches!! I hope you preserve this heirloom...
Awesome, thank you very much! I fully intend on having it cleaned & serviced so I can hang on to it for many years, and give it to my son eventually.

From the Omega database:

Constellation"C"
Reference: CD 168.0029
International collection: 1967
MovementType: Automatic chronometer certified
Caliber number: 751
Created in 1967
24 jewels
Central sweep-second hand
First day/date Omega caliber
Functions: Day-date, Chronometer
Case: Gold-cap on stainless steel
Case back: Screw-in
Dial: With hand-rivetted gold hour markers and gold hands.
Crystal: Armoured hesalite
Bracelet: Leather
Water resistance: 30 meters

Desmond has some articles on his blog regarding both the Constellation C and 751:
Omega Constellation Collectors: The Constellation C-Shape Watch: Omega's Child of the Sixties
Omega Constellation Collectors: The Omega Constellation Calibre 751 Collection
Thank you for all of that great information! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more interesting thing I have found, I see a lot of people referring to the constilation watches as the "Connie," which just so happens to be my grandmothers name! I wonder if that is why he purchased it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
That's an Omega that I have yet to add to my collection. Really nice watch...do post pictures after you get it cleaned up and serviced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an Omega that I have yet to add to my collection. Really nice watch...do post pictures after you get it cleaned up and serviced.
Thank you! I may actually go to the recommended watch shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. It still works perfectly fine it just looks forty years old.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Thank you! I may actually go to the recommended watch shop tomorrow and see what they have to say. It still works perfectly fine it just looks forty years old.
To be honest though...it doesn't look to be in that bad of a shape. I'm sure it will clean up nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts