WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Just wondering what you out there think of this vintage Omega Constellation. Is it real? Do you think the dial is original?

Pics:

Omega.jpg

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I think movement is correct
see here

Reactions: nome93

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'm curious; how does a picture of a completely different movement convince you (or anyone else) about the authenticity of this one? Did you link to the wrong thread by accident?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
I'm curious; how does a picture of a completely different movement convince you (or anyone else) about the authenticity of this one? Did you link to the wrong thread by accident?
Good point my bad
I was looking for a Omega Rotor with that script on it, most others were different.
Then I found it on Google Images
and tried to link
Anyway
I downloaded it and correct now

Sorry to that.
A

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
To Imni's point, the mainspring gear looks to have a different finish compared to the rest of the watch. Swapping one wheel isn't necessarily a big deal, but the non-matching color is a bit off-putting.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sorry but it looks like a re-dial to me. I'd need a better picture.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I like this dial and think there is a greater than 50% chance it is original. I would like it better if I could see if there is a very small "Swiss Made" at the bottom. I cannot see this in the photo, but the angle of the photograph is critical, so it could still be there.

Case looks to be in nice condition also. It's a shame someone cleaned the movement so harshly.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
679 Posts
It's been my experience that most of the crosshair style dials have been repainted, and also that most of the near perfect looking black dials have been repaints as well. The finish on the black long term does not seem to hold up well. If this is a redial it has been well done. It's hard to tell from the pics provided. Easiest way for you to tell at home is to compare it with images of dials that you know to be genuine. If you examine the repaint carefully you will usually find that crosshairs and the minute markers are not perfectly symmetrical, and the lettering is not always centered perfectly, and the cross hair design only helps to highlight this imperfection. Incorrect fonts are also a dead give away.

To your advantage, the minute marks look to be in the right place, the hands the correct length, and I may see some patina forming on the dial. This is of course no way definitive. I am not an expert on these vintage Omega time pieces, far from it. I'm just an enthusiast who has spent many hours researching for my own purchases.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your inputs on this Omega! I really appreciate your knowledge and opinions about vintage watches.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like this dial and think there is a greater than 50% chance it is original. I would like it better if I could see if there is a very small "Swiss Made" at the bottom. I cannot see this in the photo, but the angle of the photograph is critical, so it could still be there.

Case looks to be in nice condition also. It's a shame someone cleaned the movement so harshly.
gatorcpa
It may have the "Swiss Made" or "Swiss" on the bottom - you can see signs on small letters on the bottom

Omegaswiss.jpg

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Yes, I'd up the percentage of the chances of the dial being genuine too. Case back should have a stamp 2852 on it, which would then confirm the cal 505 is the correct movement. Most likely it is, as it's a press-in case back which was correct for this model.

Closeup of the dial would be useful: to have a look at the lettering and also check out that the radium in the marker recesses is original. While the pics are small, I can still see the chamfer on the bezel and the case back medallion still retains its stars. So, not a bad piece IMO.

Cheers

Desmond

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello, again! I won the Omega! YES! My first Omega watch! Got it for $ 778! I was shaking with fright when it was 20 seconds left of the auction of loosing it!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hello, again! I won the Omega! YES! My first Omega watch! Got it for $ 778! I was shaking with fright when it was 20 seconds left of the auction of loosing it!
CONGRATULATIONS
ENJOY! and wear with health.
Regards
adam

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hello!

Got my first Omega today! A lovely piece! I will post some pictures soon.
Congratulations _ am pleased you are happy with it.
Post pictures
A

1 - 20 of 22 Posts