·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dial look like redial. no Swiss made at 6'h
I'm not a serious collector but I don't want something that isn't that genuine. So they have replaced the dial for some reason, is the dial not an Omega dial as well. Basically is it just not worth getting if that isn't the original dial?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
The movement matches the case, the dial looks authentic, but there are three things that need to be addressed.

First, the seller knows little to nothing about gold-cap cases, which this one is. The lugs are not solid gold, I don't know where did he take that claim from. They are plated on the top and the sides.

Second: there does seem to be some sort of a gilt rehaut covering the "Swiss Made." The problem is, that the ref. 14765 has never featured such a "rehaut." Whatever that component is, it has been added after the watch left the factory, and it does not belong in that watch.

Thirdly, the lume is in very crappy condition- most of the lume plots are missing or only remains of it are to be seen by the markers, and it's completely gone from the hands.

·
Premium Member
13,348 Posts
The movement matches the case, the dial looks authentic, but there are three things that need to be addressed.

First, the seller knows little to nothing about gold-cap cases, which this one is. The lugs are not solid gold, I don't know where did he take that claim from. They are plated on the top and the sides.

Second: there does seem to be some sort of a gilt rehaut covering the "Swiss Made." The problem is, that the ref. 14765 has never featured such a "rehaut." Whatever that component is, it has been added after the watch left the factory, and it does not belong in that watch.

Thirdly, the lume is in very crappy condition- most of the lume plots are missing or only remains of it are to be seen by the markers, and it's completely gone from the hands.
spot on analysis mkws:-!

Reactions: mkws

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
While the crystal is an Omega crystal(the omega symbol is visible on the crystal) I wonder if the crystal is for a different Omega? That gold ring looks like a tension ring. In fact you can see where it broke at the 3 o'clock position. I have a Omega crystal with that gold tension ring on my 1956 Semaster.

I actually have the same Omega Seamaster Deville and there is no tension ring on the crystal. It is all original except for the crown (which is aftermarket) I paid $30 at a local thrift store for it back in Feb 2017

Here are some pics of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Can anything be done about such a tension ring, possible remove?

Yes, you simply buy the correct crystal. A top loader( a watch with a one piece case that you remove the crystal to access the movement) will not have a crystal with a tension ring(or at least that model will not) You will need a crystal for case 14765 3 SC

This will fix it

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My guess is someone replaced the crystal, and they put a beauty ring in that doesn't fit. You can see near the gap near the crown that it is the wrong diameter. Personally, I think this watch is WAY overpriced at the time I am writing this. I think you can search and find one in better condition for that kind of money.. maybe one that is all gold filled, or one that has a date function. Ron

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My guess is someone replaced the crystal, and they put a beauty ring in that doesn't fit. You can see near the gap near the crown that it is the wrong diameter. Personally, I think this watch is WAY overpriced at the time I am writing this. I think you can search and find one in better condition for that kind of money.. maybe one that is all gold filled, or one that has a date function. Ron
Thanks Ron, I will continue my search... Mark

·
Registered
923 Posts
Mate, you need to read more on this forum including stickys and widen your horizons.
Am guessing your from the great southern land as both have been from OZ. Right now with the weak £ I am looking in UK. ( eBay.uk).
I am far from having the knowledge of others here but I can say don't touch gold plate unless it is spot on or the watch / price is rare/ exceptional as it is next to impossible to clean up without replating.
The plating on this one is the most basic for Omega I believe and the engraving on the back case would turn me off. Mind you you could get the gold polished off as well as the engraving
If you are in Oz I can tell you that a watchmaker normally charges around AUD $200 to service a basic automatic if nothing needs replacing but if Omega or more collectable will add another 1/300 bucks.
As you know prices are not offered here l l Check out sold 552's on ebay

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mate, you need to read more on this forum including stickys and widen your horizons.
Am guessing your from the great southern land as both have been from OZ. Right now with the weak £ I am looking in UK. ( eBay.uk).
I am far from having the knowledge of others here but I can say don't touch gold plate unless it is spot on or the watch / price is rare/ exceptional as it is next to impossible to clean up without replating.
The plating on this one is the most basic for Omega I believe and the engraving on the back case would turn me off. Mind you you could get the gold polished off as well as the engraving
If you are in Oz I can tell you that a watchmaker normally charges around AUD $200 to service a basic automatic if nothing needs replacing but if Omega or more collectable will add another 1/300 bucks.
As you know prices are not offered here l l Check out sold 552's on ebay
Yeah, probabaly good advice. I am indeed from Australia, I have mainly been dealing with the lower end of watches buying seikos like the sarb033 and the skx so I am new to vintage watches and can already see that its a minefield. What are stickys? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts