WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have found this vintage Omega on eBay (see link below) which appears in decent condition and seems mostly genuine, however, there is a thing that doesn't check out for me. I'm not an Omega expert by any standards, quite new to it actually so any advice would be great. Upon finding this watch I looked up the case number (165.002) and found basically all of them to have dials that were either Seamaster or Seamster De Ville. It also only has T Swiss T on the dial rather than T Swiss Made T, dial repainted maybe. I then checked the movement which seems in pretty good condition and found (according to the serial number) it was made in 1965 and when searching up what models of watches that housed the movement I only found Seamasters. I know that some earlier watches didn't have any collection name on the dial but I thought that was more around early 1950's and prior. Other than that it seems in good condition and I'm sure I could offer a bit of a lower price for it. So what do you guys think, I imagine you are all far more experienced than I am and will have a better knowledge when it comes to this stuff... Thanks

Regards,

Mark

EXCELLENT VINTAGE OMEGA MEN'S WRISTWATCH 17 JEWELS 550 CALIBER - GREAT CONDITION | eBay

·
Registered
187 Posts
A poor redial for sure. Check out the space between 'UT' and 'OM' in AUTOMATIC. I won't touch it

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
An extraordinarily crappy redial, and on top of that- a franken, as the 165.002 should have a cal. 552, not 550. The rotor has visible traces of rubbing against the case back.

Reactions: georges zaslavsky

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Guy sent me an email saying all was legit so guess I won't be buying from them.
If they can't tell a redial that obvious, and on top of that the watch is a franken, then it's indeed better to stay away from them. They're either not on the ball when it comes to watches, or they're liars- regardless of which of these they could possibly be, either way that doesn't speak highly of them. Personally, I think it's the latter, but given that they sell mostly jewellery and kitschy figurines, they could well be the former.

·
Premium Member
13,462 Posts
An extraordinarily crappy redial, and on top of that- a franken, as the 165.002 should have a cal. 552, not 550. The rotor has visible traces of rubbing against the case back.
Indeed, indeed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts