WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omega folks,

I just found this 70's vintage 14K Omega that belonged to my wife's Grandfather. It was presented to him for 25 years of service to his employer. Obviously, it is worn but is worth restoring on sentimental value alone.

The case back seems to have shifted a bit which may have severed the crown or the back shifted because the crown broke off. Either way, given the case material, I am reluctant to try and open it up to see the movement which would certainly help the identification process.

I am looking for recommendations and advice on service type, location, duration, and expense and any pitfalls to avoid. Thank you and I look forward to learning more about this piece and its restoration.

Thanks,

///M

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I don't think that is a top-loader case and it looks like the back can be snapped off with a watchmakers knife. I am not sure the winding stem was 'broken' off but the shifting of the case back. More likely the winding crown came off (I think I can see the stem) or the crown broke off with a piece of the stem. Someone then probably removed the back and replaced it slightly 'off' because the crown was not in place as a positioner.

That said-It looks like the watch is not running which implies it may be a manual wind Omega movement perhaps in the 30t2 family from the early to mid 50s? [if you shake the watch and it starts up you can then assume its an automatic.]

As for repairs? If its justa crown and stem replacement along with a standard clean and service your not looking at very much at all. Perhaps $200 or so. Find a local watchmaker who you can depend on or use one of the well known vintage watchmakers here on wus. (Archer is one that members highly recommend). This watch can easily be repaired without a costly Omega done restoration. Also-you will have to decide if you want the original dial with its wear and patina. I prefer to leave vintage dials untouched but other collectors would rather a restoration cover 100%. But a finely done redialing will run you at least another $100.

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts