WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reposted here, thanks! Any advice appreciated!

So, my beloved father, who just turned 80 years old, upon hearing of my newfound passion for watches, has given me his Omega Seamster 300. He hasnt worn it for years apparently, and I don't ever recall him wearing it in my presence growing up. I thought this was a wonderful gesture and gift from my Dad, and only adds to the list of all those things he and my Mom have done for me that I can never repay...

So, I'm looking for any advice on how I should retore/clean/take care of this watch. I'm not looking for an valuation (never going to sell it) or anything of that nature. But I'm curious as to it's historical significance, how to get in to run correctly (it is currently running extremely fast) and how I should take care of it and what should be restored. Rest assured, I've been Googling this for hours, but figure there is most likely more expertise here than any other collective group or site anywhere...

What I know; my Dad got this overseas while in the Navy, the best he could recall was the early 60's or so. It has what I guess is a 1506 bracelet on it. The lume still works. The crystal is very rough, but seemingly only on the inside? Hard to tell from the pics, used my phone. As stated, it runs, but very fast, gained at least 90 secs over the past few hours. Should I get the movement worked on? Should the crystal be replaced, or is this considered sacrilege?

Thanks again all, I'm quite excited to get this working and cleaned up and on my wrist. Truly blessed to have my parents healthy and around to enjoy the grandkids.

Dan

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Now you've found us! Hope you saw my response to your Public Forum post.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now you've found us! Hope you saw my response to your Public Forum post.
I did, thanks! FYI, it is the original chrystal, I found the TINY Omega symbol dead center like you suggested, could only see by looking at an angle...

So, I should try to work on the existing chrystal? I will see what I can buff out. Thanks again, any more info from members much appreciated!

Dan

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I did, thanks! FYI, it is the original chrystal, I found the TINY Omega symbol dead center like you suggested, could only see by looking at an angle...

So, I should try to work on the existing chrystal? I will see what I can buff out. Thanks again, any more info from members much appreciated!

Dan
It's worth a shot. You can actually start with fine grain sand paper to tackle deep scratches, then follow up with Polywatch. FYI, that Omega symbol is etched on the underside of the crystal, so you don't have to worry about polishing it off.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other thoughts? I saw a previous post on a watch restorer in Tempe, may take to them for suggestions and work... Thanks in advance.

Dan

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Wow! That is a very nice find, and with a family history too! Original bracelet I believe.

It is certainly worth restoring, and you should try to find a competent local watchmaker to do that, rather than try and mess with it. Or else, and best, have it sent to Omega Bienne for restoration, specifying NOT to touch the dial and hands! You could also consider bringing (not mailing… risky…) it to Aldo Feruglio (see below)…

The movement, case, and crystal can be restored without much difficulty.

The hard part is the bezel. The original bezel was made of bakelite, an early polymer that soon becomes brittle and cracks easily. But there IS help out there!

Read this, and this. Aldo does not sell bezels, but he probably can restore yours.

Here's what it could look like with one of Aldo's new bezels:

And PLEASE do not run the watch before having it cleaned and oiled! That would expose it to accelerated wear.

Good luck, and please keep us informed of developments!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
What the esteemed members have said above. Very nice piece !!

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Very nice watch and worth restoring. I would be very careful with choosing someone to do this job. IMO, the watch should need a full movement cleaning and lubrication. Other then that you can change out the crystal to a new one, the originals are available. I would have the dial and hands very gently cleaned, but nothing more. The case would benefit from a cleaning and thats it. The key word is a sympathetic restoration. Jack at IWW would be a good choice, IMO.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh my! Thank you very much for the information! I will be certain to keep you all informed, this will be an ongoing process it sounds like... Heading to Tourneau now to browse!

Dan

·
Registered
680 Posts
Now THAT is a watch! Personally, I would send it to Bienne and tell them not to touch the dial and hands. It will come back with the case, crystal and bracelet looking like new, and a very accurate movement, but with a beautifully careworn look to it. With a history like that, it will be a watch you'll treasure forever.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all! I took it to Dave Donaldson here in Phoenix to look at and get mean idea of what to do. He actually came highly recommended from several members here and has gone to Omega for schooling; he is unauthorized parts and repair from Omega.

Again, I thank you all for the nice words and sound advice. Can't wait to move forward and will be certain to keep you all apprised!

Dan

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I finally got it back, and am ecstatic with the results! Dave Donaldson here in Phoenix did a beautiful job. As posted in the public forum as well, hvae decided to surprise my Dad and give it back to him, in it's new restored condition for his birthday. I think he will enjoy it for many years (hopefully!) to come.

Thanks again to all for the advice, here's the results:

·
Registered
6,916 Posts
Oh my, that is a nicely re-done SM 300. Hope that your dad loves it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
She looks great. What a great gift for a son to give back to his father. Kudos to you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
What a great thread and heart-warming story... This makes me think of my Dad and his 71 Speedmaster that got me started on the road to addiction to the Omega brand. It was a wedding gift from my Mom... a friend of hers was visiting switzerland and she asked her to pick it up from an AD and bring it back for her. The sad thing is that he never really wore it, he always just kept it stored... Up until about 6 years ago I didn't even know he still had it and was horrified to find out that he would take it out once a year and wind it up to see if still worked and then put it away again and it hadn't once been serviced in the 35 or so years he's owned it. I basically gave him .... and jokingly told him if he planned on including it in my inheritence, he better darn well get it serviced before he so much as THINKS about waking it up again. He actually listened to me and now wears it all the time.

Anyhow, again, beautiful story and I was blown away by the restoration... when you put the before and after photos side by side, WOW! Congrats :)

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts