WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Vintage Omega Seamaster and I couldn't be happier with it! The small case diameter fits perfectly and overall the watch looks great. Would any of you happen to know if the dome is acrylic crystal or sapphire or glass? Thanks
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap Watch accessory Silver Watch Fashion accessory Font Watch Wrist Cat Felidae Canidae

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Not sure on the crystal, all I know is the Quartz Seamaster I have has a glass one.

That's a really nice watch and I love the cat, reminds me of my cat, Harry.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

Reactions: Henry Krinkle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wonderful piece! Not a gold guy myself but it looks great, congrats!

These to methods i use to see if its a sapphire or mineral crystal:

Colour test
If you look at the edge of the crystal you can differentiate between sapphire (pinkish hue) and mineral (greenish hue)

Water test
Follow the colour test with the water test. That is: Place large drops of water on the crystal and tilt the watch. On sapphire the water drops easily slide off. On the mineral they water will "stick" and spread.

But of course, the safest way to know is to go to a watchmaker and have him test it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips! This watch is only water resistant to 30M: Is there any way to increase its water resistance?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Thanks for the tips! This watch is only water resistant to 30M: Is there any way to increase its water resistance?
Not really, this watch is a Seamaster but it was from the time when Omega started to produce more fashion watches and it was never meant for serious diving., as with all vintage watches the advice is to avoid getting them wet.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts