WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jcalka, that is a beautiful watch.
...thanks for that - mostly in the rotation in the summer. I just wish my eyesight wasn't going so I could appreciate it without reading glasses <smile>

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
In the spirit of respectful dialog, I disagree with your hands example .... Omega's policy (I know this as fact) is they always change the hands. Not only do they change them, but the Omega returns them (as well as other parts that were replaced)
Let me state for the record that I'm not giving the highest praises to Omega service as they are lacking in certain areas. Perhaps there are some service centers that are better than others. I live in LA and have a tight "customer relationship" with one of the local Omega boutique's here. I have had 8 restorations (i'm not exaggerating) performed by Omega through this store. They send everything to New Jersey for the work. Not once have I had an issue. On one occasion, I did have an issue when an item was sent to Dallas but it was quickly rectified. I think it's critical that the communication is very clear between the store and they service center.... and by clear I mean VERBAL, not written.
Having been trained by Omega, being certified by them, and having access to all the policies and procedures, I can safely say I'm fully aware of what Omega's policies are.

"Always" is a word that really doesn't apply to Omega...unless you say it as part of "there are always exceptions"...

For modern watches, yes hands are replaced as a matter of course during service, but this is not true for vintage. In the Vintage Diagnostic Handbook that Omega publishes, it specifies the checks and tests that are done on vintage watch components, and outlines what is acceptable for reuse, and what is not. Under section 9 "Hands and dials", specifically under section 9.4 it states:

"All hands are exchanged during a service (if necessary)."

You will note the words "if necessary", which means "not always"...if you want to use your contacts to confirm this information, all the information needed to do so is there.

Of course they will replace then for any small defect, so more often than not they do replace them at service, but not always as you claim to know as "fact".

The difference between someone like myself and Omega, is that instead of replacing a hand that say has cracked luminous material in them, like these:

I will take the time to stabilize this material using clear binder (used to make lume mixture) and apply it to the back of the hands so this material will not fall out and cause the need for a service prematurely. Omega will just slap new Luminova hands on, which would spoil the look of a watch like this:

And when a valuable chronograph hand has a split pipe, like this:

I won't just replace it with a modern hand of the completely incorrect type, I'll fix the pipe:

Again, I'm not the only one who does this sort of work. As much as people can say they have had good luck with Omega doing vintage watches, I've seen enough disasters coming back from Omega to prompt me to advise people to use caution.

If you want specific examples of Omega resorations where they refused to follow specific instructions, they are not hard to find...here's one:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/vin...ith-new-hands-crown-update.76684/#post-991305

This is a particularly egregious example...the owner convinced himself he was okay with it, but it sickens me to see this happen. Read to the end...they did this despite being asked not to, and the owner was not consulted:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/information-requested-for-my-seamaster-chronograph.63469/

If you read these threads and still think Omega will bend to all your requests, well at least you have been warned...

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sorry, I forgot all about this. The watch is back and looks (I presume) like the day it was purchased. The movement was basically rebuilt, about two dozen parts were replaced. Here are a couple photos, service took about 9 months door to door.

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts