WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm new here, hope you can offer some words of wisdom. I've been doing some searching on all of the various Omegas listed on ebay that are listed as Vintage Skeleton Models. Almost all are sold from Ukraine (Kiev to be exact), where I expect they get old beat up models and re-house them and clean them up. Some are marriage models, meaning they have taken all of the internal workings and "married" them into a new case with new crystal, etc.

However it looks like these watch elves take things one step further and remove the face to skeletonize the watch, then engrave the surfaces and add gold plating. It produces a beautiful work of art, but as I understand it, it loses it's value as a vintage piece when this is performed.

I did find a model I'm interested in that is not a marriage watch, and is in the original case. It is serialized, and has Omega stamped in all the right places. It has the original gold internals, rather than adding some after the fact. All the pieces seem to line up to it being a good vintage watch, but it's from...Yes, Kiev. Couldn't this item be considered a true Omega vintage watch since it's in the original case? If not, and there wasn't any Omega skeleton watches in the 1920s, would this be as close as I would get with an old Omega?

Mens Skeleton 1923 Omega Switzerland Vintage Beautiful Watch Castle at The Night | eBay

Would like to know your thoughts. From my standpoint it's still an Omega if all they did was remove the face to skeletonize the watch and add engraving. I do like the look, and I haven't found a true skeleton / Tourbillion Omega that dates back more than 20 years.

Is this as close as I can get to a vintage skeleton Omega, albeit altered, but in the original case and with original gold internals?

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi and welcome.
As far as I am concerned you are not buying an Omega but a Frankenstein watch, I do not consider it worth anything, that is my view as a Horologist and curator.

i would also add these pieces are without shock protection, have large balance wheels, and were never designed to be worn on the wrist.

I am 100% against such changes to these pieces.
regards

·
Registered
355 Posts
+1 for me. There is really nothing left of the original watch. They take legitimate vintage pocket watches and re-case them, and/or cut out the dial into various designs. A Horologist007 mentions, they are pocket watches, and not made to work on a wrist. Avoid these if you want anything collectable and authentic.

If you don't mind wearing a modified, decorative timepiece that has little to do with the name of the dial, then go ahead a buy one.

There are authentic pocket watches available from that era, and much earlier. Look around for a quality piece you like and do some research. You will get far more pleasure from this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts