WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ever since I started collecting vintage Omegas about 7 years ago, and I'm currently on number 9, one question has been bothering me. Once the vintage watch is fixed and serviced, should I wear it daily, which I enjoy immensely, or leave it in its near perfect condition to be periodically admired. As I said, wearing a vintage Omega watch gives me great pleasure, but at the same time I feel a bit guilty becauuse daily wearing obviously brings its share of wear and tear. I know most of these watches were built to withstand, with proper servicing and TLC, a lifetime of wearing but it still saddens me to observe new scratches and dents on my watches.
I was wondering if the other vintage Omega owners wear theirs daily and what's their opinion on my dilemma?

Regards, Kres

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

As for your question, obviously it is a personal choice. Myself, I'd definitely wear them! As you note, it gives you great pleasure to do so. Scratches can be polished out, and if properly serviced, the movements probably will last longer than you or I will...

I'd wear it, enjoying every second of it - then have my watchmaker give it some TLC every now and then.

Only exception I can think of would be if parts were starting to become scarce - for instance, I've read that Omega's stock of c.321 parts is mostly gone, meaning that servicing old Speedmasters requires (Depending on what's broken, obviously) that you get hold of a donor movement, obtain parts from a third party, have parts made from scratch - or get lucky in that that particular part is still available from the mother ship...

Owning a watch which could no longer be properly serviced without great expense or difficulty, I would think twice about wearing it daily. Otherwise - wear, enjoy, restore every now and then!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hello,
Like Odd said, it's a personal choice...
For me, I would not really want to own the watch if I could not (or felt that I should not) wear it.
Wearing my one vintage piece today:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum |>

I have several vintage watches and I wear them on all occasions. As others stated, of course it's a personal choice, but I buy watches to wear them, not to keep them in a safe or drawer.

As you've said yourself, they are built to be worn and when properly serviced there should be no problem. As for scratches and bumps, they are part of the deal.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I realy enjoy wearing my vintage watches - there's something special about them - so they do get used. I don't wear them on a regualr basis, but I do rotate them in every so often just to enjoy a piece of watch history on my wrist. My favorite is the Omega Seamaster.

·
Registered
139 Posts
< insert drool on the constellation here >

To me, like said before, as my personal choice, the answer is simple.
Wear them.
Maybe not everyday when you have pieces that might be rarer, harder to service but wear them. I wouldn t go on a dirt bike ride or anything extreme with a rarer 321 but I sure would with my 861.
If you have 9 different ones you can rotate them depending on your mood and the occasion.
In the vintage electric guitar world, the most expensive guitars are the mint , pristine condition unplayed instruments. Ironic because guitars like the iconic Fender Telecaster was designed and made as a tool, to be played and easiely repaired, with all parts bolted on so you could change anything in a blink yourself or with lil knowledge...
A sunburst strat from say 1963 in mint condition would be around 20k, the very same one in custom color would be 40 to 100k. Just because it s red or blue ... The very same 63 but stripped from it's original color or refinished would be 5 to 10k. Anything changed from a pick up to pot would drop the value. That is a shame, again in my own personal opinion. These guitars were never built to be seen thru bullet proof glass and not played or hang in a vault. I keep away from these because I don t like the "time capsule" look, I don t like a 40 years old or more instrument to look like a brand new one. I understand and respect why people do, but I still think it s a shame to own a guitar and not play it, own a car and not drive it or own a watch and not wear it.
Look at the classic car collectors, they pay astronomical ammounts of money to restore a car and then drive it or race it, sometimes crash it even in a classic car rallye but at least they enjoy them for what they were meant to be : driven.
Many exemples come to mind, companies paying insane ammount of money to organize concerts for their Stradivarius to be played by virtuosos, thinking that if they are not played, they die.
SO again for me the answer is simple, play them, drive them , wear them within reason. No one is asking you to bring your Bugatti to the stock car track or to go throw your 59 burst across the stage and smash or burn your vintage strat like Hendrix, but please dont take away their purpose.
As a guitar builder myself, there is no better reward than seeing them played and loved for what they are, musical instruments.
I m sure that a lot of craftsmen, watchmakers and other crafts feel the same and would love to know that a caliber they designed or built 100 years ago is still worn and in perfect working order.
Not wearing our vintage watch will finish to kill the few watchmakers and parts makers who are still around and they will end up in vaults and museums, behind glass, dead because no one will even know how to fix them anymore ...
A watch to me is like a heart, it has to tic toc and the day it stops, it dies.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Assuming the watches in your collection don't consist of museum quality pieces, wear them!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Its really up to you.

Ive worn, and still wearing, my vintage Speedmaster Professional every day and I am really happy camper. In my opinion, every watch is meant to be worn.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I think you are like me.
Since I bought the PO a year ago (brand new), I never wear it.
I just keep it inside the box all the time.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I own a couple of vintage Omegas. I probably wear them a few times a month. Usually when going out, not to work. Here they are:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wear it! I have my father's 1960 Seamaster, and I make a point of wearing it at least once a month. Not to swim, or play basketball, or cut down trees, but normal daily wear. Runs like a champ, and its caliber 570 movement keeps great time.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think you are like me.
That s different, it s brand new. That precisely why I don t buy MInt like new in the box or new old stock vintage watches. I d feel somehow bad to put a scratch or a dent on something that is like new and 60 years old.
I d tend to think if it s that clean and was kep in that pristine, time capsule condition for so long, I don t want to be the 1st guy THAT guy who scratched it. So i get watches with a lil patina or near mint and rarely complete packages that would push me to leave them on a display.
Send me your PO, I d pay the shipping and wear it for youfor a while for FREE ! scratch it and dent it and send it back so you d feel safe wearing it :-d
No i m kidding about your PO but that is why I do not like "museum condition" dead mint etc . It d be like buying an Aston Martin 62 with 0 miles, would you drive it or keep it as maybe the only one in the world with 0 miles ?
mmmm
ship me the aston with 0 miles actually i will drive it and ship it back FOR FREE with 150 000 miles :p
No i think i d really wear or drive or play anything...
I had a couple of Mint guitars that were not so mint after i kept them for a while, I didn t bash them but I did play them and brought them to gigs and jams.

·
Premium Member
12,760 Posts
I think you are like me.
That s different, it s brand new. That precisely why I don t buy MInt like new in the box or new old stock vintage watches. I d feel somehow bad to put a scratch or a dent on something that is like new and 60 years old.
Forgive me guys, but I think you two are just a bit weird! :-d

JC, why buy the PO at all? Sorry, I have never heard of someone doing that. Wear it and relax. It is supposed to take abuse. Daily wear for a PO should not be any issue at all. Can't enjoy it that way.

Vintagetone, I would draw a distinction between a brand-new new watch (ie JC's PO) and a NOS or pristine-mint piepan connie from the early sixties. The new watch is new, wear it--it is a common watch. The NOS vintage would be such a rare bird that it might take some cajones to wear, and one scratch would bring down the value, if one was holding it for that reason.

Back to the OP, I would say, wear them and fully enjoy them. All my vintages have some marks on them, so I am quite happy to wear them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have two nice gold vintage chronographs and wear them whenever I feel like it, which is once or twice a month at the moment. I have worn them every day of the week at times in the past. There are minor exceptions - I don't wear them for exercise or something else energetic and I don't wear them when it's raining. Older watches generally aren't reliably waterproof, so sweat and rain are things to be avoided.

Another thing for me is that, living in Tokyo, I have to contend with really crowded trains. People bash briefcases and bags into your wrist all the time and I have had one modern, tough crystal cracked and another watch crown torn off. Therefore, if I am going to be wearing a vintage, I usually put it into a case before getting on the rush hour train. An old glasses case does the trick nicely. I doubt that this is a problem in many other places in the world, however.

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks all for your comments.
I'm glad to see most of us agree that watches are made to be worn. If I was a bit vague in my original post, I do wear my Omegas every day. Or rather I stick to one for about 6-12 months and then switch to another one. I'm currently wearing c.752 Dynamic.
But the thing that originally started my collecting old Omegas was that after getting my first one, which was a C-shape c.564 Constellation, I liked wearing it so much that I got another one just like it (different dial though) so I would have another one to wear if the first one breaks down. And so it started. The thing with 60's and 70's Omegas is that they will probably become an endangered species with time. So, with me being 40, my 9 Omega collection should probably suffice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts