WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Here's a cool little find I picked up this morning for a few bucks. I've been searching all over trying to figure out where in the world this baby came from, but I have found nada. It's obviously not a high-end luxury piece. It has a Swiss made 1 jewel unadjusted movement. It's set in a chromed base metal case with stainless back and plastic crystal. I really love the cool 24 hr double dial. Very neat retro feeling design.

Have you all seen these before? Know who may have manufactured it or when? Anything you could pass along would be greatly appreciated!! Thx much.

a9723a98.jpg
7b7a1570.jpg

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Reactions: DHopper71

·
Moderator at Large
53,221 Posts
Most likely a PLB watch out of the 60ties for the Adam Opel AG, in Germany shortened to Opel, a German automobile company founded by Adam Opel in 1862. The company is headquartered in Rüsselsheim, Germany. The watch might have been made for the German market.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Amazing. The depth of knowledge never ceases to amaze me. Thank you both for your super fast input.

I was familiar with the cars, having lived in Germany for a few years, but was rather purposely separating the two thinking that they couldn't be related. Cool that there could be that connection.

Thanks for the info on the movement Marrick! I never would have found that on my own!!

It really is in overall great condition. Really clean. I do need to adjust it though. It is running very fast at the moment. It has gained 20 minutes in the last 4 hours. Anything else wrong that causes that?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Thanks for the info on the movement Marrick! I never would have found that on my own!!

It really is in overall great condition. Really clean. I do need to adjust it though. It is running very fast at the moment. It has gained 20 minutes in the last 4 hours. Anything else wrong that causes that?
You are most welcome.b-)

I'm not a watchmaker, but that rate of gain is beyond adjusting. It probably needs a service (COA) - but it could be some magnetism of the hairspring. These were cheap movements, and although they have proved to be great workhorses, the lack of jewels could mean that there is wear in the mechanism that is beyond sensible repair. Others may know more.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi im gboy. Have you all seen these before? yes i have seen it i have one like this. same as this pic. why u are looking for this kind of watch?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Most likely a PLB watch out of the 60ties for the Adam Opel AG, in Germany shortened to Opel, a German automobile company founded by Adam Opel in 1862. The company is headquartered in Rüsselsheim, Germany. The watch might have been made for the German market.
Hi!

Indeed it´s an old logo of the Adam Opel AG, Germany, dates the watch to 1963 or older.

1954 - 1963(with a Zeppelin)

1963, only for a short period

1964, the first one with the thunderbolt

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi!

Indeed it´s an old logo of the Adam Opel AG, Germany, dates the watch to 1963 or older.

1954 - 1963(with a Zeppelin)

1963, only for a short period

1964, the first one with the thunderbolt
Mike, for some reason I can't see your photos, but my first thought on seeing the watch is that it was perhaps a promotional item produced for Opel, rather like the watches produced by Mauthe and others for VW in the 1950's. The original ones of these bore the makers name on the front and were for the VW 100000km award, later ones appear to have been marked as Wolfsberg.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Mike, for some reason I can't see your photos, but my first thought on seeing the watch is that it was perhaps a promotional item produced for Opel, rather like the watches produced by Mauthe and others for VW in the 1950's. The original ones of these bore the makers name on the front and were for the VW 100000km award, later ones appear to have been marked as Wolfsburg.
Hi John!

Exactly what I think, watches produced for promotional use.
Here are the different logos on the original site.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi John!

Exactly what I think, watches produced for promotional use.
Here are the different logos on the original site.
Thanks Mike, an interesting read, even though my German is only a just above non-existant, I got there in the end.

I'd forgotten all about the ancient Kadett I once was the "lucky" owner of!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks Mike, an interesting read, even though my German is only a just above non-existant, I got there in the end.

I'd forgotten all about the ancient Kadett I once was the "lucky" owner of!
I´m driving an old Omega estate(the 5th meanwhile in 15 years). The "Kadettillac" was a fine car - before they made it with front wheel drive. ;-)
Concerning the promotional watches, the better quality was obviously delivered by VW - the VW-Mauthes with 1001 or 612 cal(also Laco) are better motorised than the Opel-watch with it´s simple Swiss pin lever movement.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I´m driving an old Omega estate(the 5th meanwhile in 15 years). The "Kadettillac" was a fine car - before they made it with front wheel drive. ;-)
Concerning the promotional watches, the better quality was obviously delivered by VW - the VW-Mauthes with 1001 or 612 cal(also Laco) are better motorised than the Opel-watch with it´s simple Swiss pin lever movement.
Comet, Junghans & Cort also produced for VW, and there was a Swedish version by RALCO with a VW emblem on the face together with 10000 mil, standing for 10000 Swedish miles, the equivalent of 100000km. The best thing about my "Kadettillac" was that was fairly easy to push every time it stopped running for no apparent reason, after a while it would start again, no problem, I never did find out why, just like my Reconvilier :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Never heard of Cort, another one was Porta.
There´s a good overview here.
Your Kadettillac seems to have had a self-repair automatic. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts