WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I just bought this vintage Oris watch at a thriftshop for €2,50. The watch was running and I liked the look of it so I bought it. It has a elastic stainless steel strap which I presume is not original. But I might be wrong.

Can anyone tell me more about this model? It seems its a winding watch due to the resistance when turning the knob.

All info is welcome! Thanks!

Cheers from David's phone

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
This IS a winding watch. Continue to wind (carefully!) until you feel resistance = fully wound up.

The watch most likely has no quick set of the date, but you can try the following if the date on the watch is too far away from the actual date.

Pull out the crown to set the watch and move the hands forward until the date jumps ahead (midnight). Continue until and just over 2 am. Move the hands backwards over 12 and 10 pm. Then forward again and the date should jump when going over the 12. Go on over 2 am ... and so on. If that doesn't work, don't continue.

If the adjustment is just for 2 or 3 days, you might as well turn the hands forward several times over midnight (also carefully). If the watch has stopped running, it is possible that it won't change the date at 12 o'clock, which might be noon instead of midnight. Just move the hands forward for 12 hours in this case.

As your watch is showing the first of the month (today) you don't have to do anything.

I see that the watchcase (bottom) is more difficult to open. If that can be done (perhaps by an experienced person or a watchmaker, you could show images of the movement, which would be very helpful to provide further info (unless some of the experts know off hand what's inside). You need a special tool for this, but you could also try with a ball, which are cheapely available at ebay or with another opener with suction/friction effect.

The '3' looks kinda strange... but a very nice watch overall and the price is just a dream for a collector.

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is one of the best looking vintage Oris i have ever seen (though i admit i have not seen many). The lume has aged so nicely and the case seems to be in fantastic condition and i especially love that engine turned(?) Bezel. So... where can i find this thrift shop? :D

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for all your info!
I set the date myself and wound it up all the way after I read your message. It runs really smooth. I also think the straps are original; it says: Dorado stainless steel Made in Germany.

Yeah I was like what the hell? Is this one 2,50€ as well? The guy was like: yeah. So I looked at the caseback. Bingo! 🏻

This IS a winding watch. Continue to wind (carefully!) until you feel resistance = fully wound up.

The watch most likely has no quick set of the date, but you can try the following if the date on the watch is too far away from the actual date.

Pull out the crown to set the watch and move the hands forward until the date jumps ahead (midnight). Continue until and just over2 am. Move the hands backwards over 12 and 10 pm. Then forward again and the date should jump when going over the 12. Go on over 2 am ... and so on. If that doesn't work, don't continue.

If the adjustment is just for 2 or 3 days, you might as well turn the hands forward several times over midnight (also carefully). If the watch has stopped running, it is possible that it won't change the date at 12 o'clock, which might be noon instead of midnight. JUst move the hands forward for 12 hours in this case.

As your watch is showing the first of the month (today) you don't have to do anything.

I see that the watchcase (bottom) is more difficult to open. If that can be done (perhaps by an experienced person or a watchmaker, you couls show images of the movement, which would be very helpful to provide further info (unless some of the experts know off hand whats inside). You need a special tool for this, but you could also try with a ball, which are cheapely available at ebay or with another opener with suction/friction effect.

The '3' looks kinda strange... but a very nice watch overall and the price is just a dream for a collector.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks man!
The overall look is really nice yeah! The bezel cannot be turned though. The guy also had a Rolex for the same price. But it felt a bit cheap so I gave it back. I did a bit of research when I came home and it seems the Rolex is legit. So tomorrow morning I'll be standing in front of their door to snatch the Rolex as well.

This is one of the best looking vintage Oris i have ever seen (though i admit i have not seen many). The lume has aged so nicely and the case seems to be in fantastic condition and i especially love that engine turned(?) Bezel. So... where can i find this thrift shop? :D

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Oris has a "reissue" of a watch with such a dial in their collection:
01 733 7707 4064-07 4 20 18 - Oris Divers Sixty-Five - Oris Divers - Diving - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
Either the lume at 3 o'clock was influenced by some factor (humidity, for example) and deformed Note that it's next to the crown- if the gasket's not working properly, that's where the water could get inside the watch. Another explanation is that the watch was re-lumed. Either it happened long ago, or it was re-done with a lume intended to imitate aged luminescent material. Such lume is used for "reissues" of vintage pieces. You can see it in the Oris in the link, and also in the Longines Legend Diver, the reissues of the Omega Seamaster 300 and the new Speedmaster '57. And many other watches.
Frankly, I don't want to draw conclusions, since I am pretty far from betting, that any of these theories is the right explanation.
Whatever is the reason behind the condition of the lume at 3 o'clock, it's not important. Yeah, when you spend quite a lot of money on something, it matters much. But at 2.50 euro, I think it's a real bargain- nice catch! Enjoy it!

Reactions: dbje and busmatt

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Very nice find. The dial suggests a variation of the Oris 1965 Diver, but I've never seen one with that type of bezel.

Oris recently brought out an homage to the original, the Oris Diver Sixty-Five you can see it here: Oris Divers Sixty Five Watch Hands-On | aBlogtoWatch

Reactions: dbje and busmatt

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Oris has a "reissue" of a watch with such a dial in their collection:
01 733 7707 4064-07 4 20 18 - Oris Divers Sixty-Five - Oris Divers - Diving - Collection - Oris - Purely mechanical Swiss watches.
Either the lume at 3 o'clock was influenced by some factor (humidity, for example) and deformed Note that it's next to the crown- if the gasket's not working properly, that's where the water could get inside the watch. Another explanation is that the watch was re-lumed. Either it happened long ago, or it was re-done with a lume intended to imitate aged luminescent material. Such lume is used for "reissues" of vintage pieces. You can see it in the Oris in the link, and also in the Longines Legend Diver, the reissues of the Omega Seamaster 300 and the new Speedmaster '57. And many other watches.
Frankly, I don't want to draw conclusions, since I am pretty far from betting, that any of these theories is the right explanation.
Whatever is the reason behind the condition of the lume at 3 o'clock, it's not important. Yeah, when you spend quite a lot of money on something, it matters much. But at 2.50 euro, I think it's a real bargain- nice catch! Enjoy it!
After I have seen the dial of the re-issue, I go along with your arguments. I couldn't make out the '3' before, but seeing it now on the other dial, it's not that bad anymore, whatever the cause.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,870 Posts
I think that the marker at 3:00 is original. It is squashed by the date feature so that it can't look the same as the others. In addition, if made in 1965, it should still have an Oris pin lever grade movement and these were sometimes a little cheap 'n' cheerful when it came to details such as this. I would nevertheless say that it is still a nice watch and that you got a bargain.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
I would be very much interested in viewing a 17J, shock protected pin lever.
Here's such a movement by Oris- the cal. 582:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Oris 582
7/17 jewels, Kif-Trior shock device.
The term "pin lever" reminds me of all these rubbish Ruhla (UMF) 0 jewels movements, but somehow I wouldn't say the same thing about Oris as about Ruhla. Pin lever? OK. But Oris got these movements right.

Reactions: busmatt

·
17,870 Posts
Oris were forced by legislation to make only pin levers from 1934 onwards until 1966. Their reaction was to make high quality pin levers that were even capable of passing COSC testing. As a result, their better movements had the normal jewel count and shockproofing.

Hartmut Richter

·
17,870 Posts
Now that is a very long story! In essence: it all started with the Ebauches SA which were founded by Adolf Schild, Adolf Michel and FHF. At that time, the ebaucheries were in the dumps and A. Michel were close to going bust. The ESA were based on protectionism: anyone who joined were allocated a "niche" (pin levers only made by Ebauches Bettlach, automatics only by ETA, Adolf Schild and Felsa, chronographs only by Valjoux, Venus or Landeron.....) which the others weren't allowed to infringe upon. The ESA then lobbied the Swiss government to pass protective legislation to the effect that everyone, even outside the ESA, got stuck in their niche! So, since Oris were only making pin levers in 1934, they were prevented from changing this and making Swiss lever movements thereafter until the legislation was lifted in the 1960s.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Interesting, I never knew that.

Matt

Brought to you by HYPNOTOAD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts