WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I also posted this in the vintage thread but I'm very curious what you have to say about this watch so I might as well submit it on the brand thread as well:

Hi guys,

I just bought this vintage Oris watch at a thriftshop for €2,50. The watch was running and I liked the look of it so I bought it. It has a elastic stainless steel strap which I presume is not original. But I might be wrong.

Can anyone tell me more about this model? It is a winding watch, just wound it up and it runs really smooth.

All info is welcome! Thanks!

Cheers from David's phone

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I will get it serviced, just at a jeweler? Or what do you guys recommend, this is my first vintage timepiece. It's small though so I was wondering if Oris made a women's watch of this as well? And could anyone tell me more about the value? Thanks a bunch 🏻

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I will get it serviced, just at a jeweler? Or what do you guys recommend, this is my first vintage timepiece. It's small though so I was wondering if Oris made a women's watch of this as well? And could anyone tell me more about the value? Thanks a bunch
You could always send it away to Oris and see what they can do, but you would probably be just as far ahead by finding a good, local watchmaker. Don't take it to a jeweler as they rarely have qualified watchmakers on staff. You should be able to Google "watch repair' for your area and find several possibilities for someone who can disassemble your watch, clean and inspect it, and lubricate it. Because of its age, I doubt if even Oris has much in the way of parts for it, so it's important to get it serviced right away before you potentially damage it by running it.

As far as value goes, you'll need to do your own research and try to find historical sales for the watch. One thing I can say with certainty though, is that whenever a manufacturer re-issues a previously popular watch (and does it credibly, like Oris has done), and the new watch 'takes off' in popularity and demand, it drives the prices up for the original version. Case in point, when Hamilton introduced the blue dial Pan Europ 1971 LE chronograph a few years ago, the price of the originals jumped by 4-5 times from what they had previously been selling for. What you used to be able to find for around $500 now trades for around $2,500. FYI, the re-issued Divers Sixty-five was one of the biggest hits at Basel this year, and is in extremely high demand right now (they just started shipping to ADs in Europe in the past couple of weeks, and North America is right around the corner). You bought well!

Size wise, in the sixties most men's watches were in the mid 30mm size range (tiny by today's standards), and the Omega Speedmaster was considered a massive watch (mid-size today). The new Divers Sixty-five has been held to a reasonable size of 40mm compared to the smaller size of the original.

I haven't seen an example with the bezel that yours has and I'm not familiar with any iterations of the model, so I don't know if the bezel is original or if it was swapped on later. You should try to research that, as well. I would send an inquiry, with pictures, directly to Oris and see what they can tell you. Who knows, perhaps they made a dress version without a dive bezel. If the bezel isn't original, they might still have some originals available. If not, you can always search for vintage Oris bezels online (and eBay) and hopefully find one that can bring the watch back to its original configuration.

Here's the old and new, side by side.

Oris-Divers-Sixty-Five-6.jpg

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good stuff! Thank you very much on all
your info! I find it quite interesting to see that proces go up so much whenever a manufacturer makes a re-issue. Very nice.

I'll have to look up a good watchmaker around here and I'll also send some pictures to Oris. I'd love to hear what they have to say!

I measured the bezel and it's about 32 mm. so I guess it's a mens watch but the strap it too tight to good around my hands (my hands are Large but slim) The bezel is probably original as far as I can see, there are no signs of tweaking.

The new one looks really sweet! When are you receiving yours?

You could always send it away to Oris and see what they can do, but you would probably be just as far ahead by finding a good, local watchmaker. Don't take it to a jeweler as they rarely have qualified watchmakers on staff. You should be able to Google "watch repair' for your area and find several possibilities for someone who can disassemble your watch, clean and inspect it, and lubricate it. Because of its age, I doubt if even Oris has much in the way of parts for it, so it's important to get it serviced right away before you potentially damage it by running it.

As far as value goes, you'll need to do your own research and try to find historical sales for the watch. One thing I can say with certainty though, is that whenever a manufacturer re-issues a previously popular watch (and does it credibly, like Oris has done), and the new watch 'takes off' in popularity and demand, it drives the prices up for the original version. Case in point, when Hamilton introduced the blue dial Pan Europ 1971 LE chronograph a few years ago, the price of the originals jumped by 4-5 times from what they had previously been selling for. What you used to be able to find for around $500 now trades for around $2,500. FYI, the re-issued Divers Sixty-five was one of the biggest hits at Basel this year, and is in extremely high demand right now (they just started shipping to ADs in Europe in the past couple of weeks, and North America is right around the corner). You bought well!

Size wise, in the sixties most men's watches were in the mid 30mm size range (tiny by today's standards), and the Omega Speedmaster was considered a massive watch (mid-size today). The new Divers Sixty-five has been held to a reasonable size of 40mm compared to the smaller size of the original.

I haven't seen an example with the bezel that yours has and I'm not familiar with any iterations of the model, so I don't know if the bezel is original or if it was swapped on later. You should try to research that, as well. I would send an inquiry, with pictures, directly to Oris and see what they can tell you. Who knows, perhaps they made a dress version without a dive bezel. If the bezel isn't original, they might still have some originals available. If not, you can always search for vintage Oris bezels online (and eBay) and hopefully find one that can bring the watch back to its original configuration.

Here's the old and new, side by side.

View attachment 5206562

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I measured the bezel and it's about 32 mm. so I guess it's a mens watch but the strap it too tight to good around my hands (my hands are Large but slim) The bezel is probably original as far as I can see, there are no signs of tweaking.
How wide is the case, not including the crown? The originals were 36 mm wide. If your case is smaller than that, it might mean yours is a ladies model and that might explain the bezel difference. Of course I say "might"... Oris would be the best resource for information.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's your answer.
It is smaller than 36 mm, so should be a women's watch then?

How wide is the case, not including the crown? The originals were 36 mm wide. If your case is smaller than that, it might mean yours is a ladies model and that might explain the bezel difference. Of course I say "might"... Oris would be the best resource for information.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The dial doesn't look right for an original, the date window tapers whereas the original is square, the hands aren't correct and the luminous 3 is wrong as well. I've seen that bezel on another Oris model of approximately the same age and I'd guess someone liked the divers model and has repainted the dial on another watch to get the effect.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
At 32mm, there's a good possibility it's a woman's watch. Whether it has been redialed or not is open to conjecture. The woman's model could very well have an angled date aperture versus the square of the original men's diver, in fact I've seen more Oris dive watches from that era with angled apertures than square.

One other thing I just noticed is it says "Waterproof" on the dial and "Water Resistant" on the case back. It typically should be one or the other, but not both. Waterproof was in use for a good period of the sixties before the industry phased it out for the term Water Resistant due to liability issues. Perhaps it's significant... or not.

Ultimately I think you're going to need to contact Oris directly to find out exactly what you have.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your info and help! We just moved you I will contact Oris as soon as we're online again.

On the back it also says shockproof, maybe that adds more to you?

At 32mm, there's a good possibility it's a woman's watch. Whether it has been redialed or not is open to conjecture. The woman's model could very well have an angled date aperture versus the square of the original men's diver, in fact I've seen more Oris dive watches from that era with angled apertures than square.

One other thing I just noticed is it says "Waterproof" on the dial and "Water Resistant" on the case back. It typically should be one or the other, but not both. Waterproof was in use for a good period of the sixties before the industry phased it out for the term Water Resistant due to liability issues. Perhaps it's significant... or not.

Ultimately I think you're going to need to contact Oris directly to find out exactly what you have.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys, a quick update. I contacted Oris today. It's a divers model like you mentioned. They produced it in 1970-82 and the hand wind movement has reference 715. Retail at the time was about €135.

So that leaves me with this: should I get it serviced for about €75 or just flip it asap? Or service (yes or no) it and wait for the Oris hommage watches for this model to hit the market?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts