WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm interested in purchasing this vintage ORIS star but don't know much about it.
I tried good ol' google but to no success.

Anyone here know the year, movement or anything at all about this watch?
Unfortunately these are the only photos available.

Untitled.jpg

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You have thried on ol' google, perhaps you should have sought access to a newer database. Try with the keywords 'Oris' and 'Oris Star'.

You watch has been made perhaps in the late 1970s, early 1980s, by Oris Watch Co. SA, watches, watch parts, located in Hoelstein, Courgenay and Holderbank, Switzerland. It's one of the many Rolex look-alikes (at least case and bezel), imitated by several companies. Oris is still around.

Compared to the 'real thing' it is as far away as the Earth from the moon, nothing really spectacular. The problem with these Rolex-look alikes is always, that they are no fakes which you should never buy or wear in the first pace, but legal watches, but in the end, it looks a bit odd. I have a similar watch, made by Jowissa, even much closer to the original, with the full weekday on top and other things, but I would never wear it, despite being legit. Yours is a bit different and not so much a total imitation, and there are many other decent companies around coming out with similar designs.

Whatever, it all depends on the price.

Here is a listing of all the trillion things around the Oris brand, where you also find the Oris Star:

Mikrolisk - The horological trade mark index

Attachments

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
An absolutely dreadful redial.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have thried on ol' google, perhaps you should have sought access to a newer database. Try with the keywords 'Oris' and 'Oris Star'.

You watch has been made perhaps in the late 1970s, early 1980s, by Oris Watch Co. SA, watches, watch parts, located in Hoelstein, Courgenay and Holderbank, Switzerland. It's one of the many Rolex look-alikes (at least case and bezel), imitated by several companies. Oris is still around.

Compared to the 'real thing' it is as far away as the Earth from the moon, nothing really spectacular. The problem with these Rolex-look alikes is always, that they are no fakes which you should never buy or wear in the first pace, but legal watches, but in the end, it looks a bit odd. I have a similar watch, made by Jowissa, even much closer to the original, with the full weekday on top and other things, but I would never wear it, despite being legit. Yours is a bit different and not so much a total imitation, and there are many other decent companies around coming out with similar designs.

Whatever, it all depends on the price.

Here is a listing of all the trillion things around the Oris brand, where you also find the Oris Star:

Wow yours is 10x better looking and you would still avoid wearing it...
Thanks for sharing!

btw, guy is selling it for around 200 USD...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm no expert, but it looks dodgy as hell, & I wouldn't buy it.
Oris put obvious branding on the rotors, & this has none. The movement looks terrible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts