WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - this is my first post so excuse me if I do stuff wrong!

I have a vintage pocket watch which was my Great Grandfather's retirement present. Dating is easy as he retired in 1918 and the engraving on the back says 11th April 1919. I would like to know more about the watch if possible. Inside there is a small Crown marking with S&Co underneath - I believe that this indicates it is from Staufer & Co. in London. There is also a serial number 249979 with the word 'PEERLESS' underneath it along with the word 'SWISS'.

Any information would be appreciated - photos attached.

Phil

CIMG3109.JPG
CIMG3105.JPG CIMG3107.JPG CIMG3106.JPG

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well - you might just have an IWC movement in there. Looks somewhat like bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 53 19'''H6.5 - but await more informed opinions.

Whatever - its a great looking watch.:-! But clearly in need of a service judging from the 'off the scale' position of the regulator.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
+1
Lovely watch and a great heirloom.
A Peerless by Stauffer and Co and as Marrick has said, contains a high quality I.W.C movement

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I belive that movement shown on Ranffts page is not IWC cal.53,H6.5 but cal.53,H5.Difference is on mainspring barrel position.Cals 52 H5,52/53 H6 and 52/53 H6.5 that are quite similar,all have mainspring barrel on oposite side of the movement that is shown on OP's photos of the movement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well - you might just have an IWC movement in there. Looks somewhat like bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 53 19'''H6.5 - but await more informed opinions.

Whatever - its a great looking watch.:-! But clearly in need of a service judging from the 'off the scale' position of the regulator.
Thanks for the info - I'm sure that it does need a service - I've had it for around 35 years and its not been serviced at all. The regulator position is how I received it so I'm guessing that its been like that since my Great Grandfather's day! Any idea what I should pay for a service and any recommendations as to where I should go (I'm in the UK)

Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts