WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I've just purchased an orfina royal navy (wanted one for years) Having some problems searching out any history on this military evaluation issue. Its has the H3 symbol and is correct in all its markings. Can anyone help with links or publication recommondations or can you tell me how many were purchased by the Navy?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Hi I've just purchased an orfina royal navy (wanted one for years) Having some problems searching out any history on this military evaluation issue. Its has the H3 symbol and is correct in all its markings. Can anyone help with links or publication recommondations or can you tell me how many were purchased by the Navy?
Thanks
First of all, welcome to the forum, Fencerguy! :)

I am not sure that the "Royal Navy" on the face of an Orfina denotes actual service of the watch (type) with the RN ... AFAIK, "Royal Navy" is used as an alternative brand of Orfina in markets where someone else holds the rights to the Orfina name (e.g. in Germany).

As far as I can see, the claim that these watches have actually been used by the RN stems from distributors, not the OEM.

The official name of the brand/factory is "Uhrenschmiede Grenchen", and their watches are marketed labeled either "Orfina", "Royal Navy" or just with the Uhrenschmiede Grenchen signet.

http://www.orfina.ch/shop_e/index.html

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, not wanting to be rude and butt in, but the actual answer is no, it doesn't. The B&R in your original post uses a Valjoux 7750.

However, that is the movement originally used in the Porsche Design, so there are clear similarities.

Cheers
sweets
ah....excuse me!

I stand corrected...:-!

actually I guess that makes sense:thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Hi, this is a strange version.
It's a BUND issued black PVD Porsche Design, I've seen rarely a black "3H" with issued marking on the back.

In a discussion with the kindly Mr. Knirim he tell me that maybe it can be a "proto" version offer to the BUND but not finally issued...

"I think these watches were build for the BUND but not issued finally. I very nice watch.

. Gruesse/Regards/Salute Konrad Knirim"

01/05/2007

I think is a fine piece, it's in very ggod condition with the original cardboard box.
Note that the black steel bracelet is aftermarket as the watch is coming to me with a classic BUND strap as in the first pic!

:thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks
I too have one of these very rare models, and as you say, specific documentation is very difficult to come up with, particularly as ORFINA has gone through various changes since the 1970s. As far as I have been able to ascertain from other collectors and anecdotal evidence, ORFINA tendered for a UK military contract in 1979 to supply chronograph watches, and a trial run of 50 were issued to the Royal Navy. These were marked on the dial 'Military' Porsche Design Royal Navy, with the red 3H symbol in a circle between 1 and 2 o'clock, and the casebacks were engraved "Porsche Design Orfina Military Chronograph 7177 MOD, DEP INT. In an innovative move for the time, the crystal was coated with a 'military' anti glare solution, presumably a forerunner to todays' AR material.

They housed the now legendary Lemania 5100 movement, predictably had English Day/Date wheels,and were much appreciated by the Officers to whom they were issued, but turned out to be too expensive for the UK Government, and the contract was never entered into. ORFINA, however, retained the rights to the "Royal Navy" trademark, and continue to market watches under that name - although these modern offerings are nothing whatsoever to do with the small run of trial pieces made in the late 1970s.

When I bought mine, the respected dealer who sourced it told me that in 17 years of searching, he had only seen 5 such models. They are fine watches - wear yours in good health!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.