WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all. I just began shopping for my first Glycine and am deciding between an SST 06, MLV, or Vintage V, in a 24 hr setup. I like the SST 06 with the black face & orange outer ring, with the leather strap. But I also spotted this vintage SST on eBay: http://snipurl.com/167fg

Since I'm new to this brand, I sure would appreciate your input on the eBay watch and on the other ones I'm considering. But you must promise, if the eBay one is something special, don't snipe me out :).

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hello, all. I just began shopping for my first Glycine and am deciding between an SST 06, MLV, or Vintage V, in a 24 hr setup. I like the SST 06 with the black face & orange outer ring, with the leather strap. But I also spotted this vintage SST on eBay: http://snipurl.com/167fg

Since I'm new to this brand, I sure would appreciate your input on the eBay watch and on the other ones I'm considering. But you must promise, if the eBay one is something special, don't snipe me out :).
Hi, and welcome to the wonderful world of the Airman!

That Pumpkin looks good to me. It even has the correct crown for spinning the bezel. Most of those have been replaced by the same splined crown on the winding stem. That might be a real nice catch, unless someone else can spot something I can't (A very real possibility!):)

As for the other watches you mention, as the proud owner of two of the three watches you are considering, here are my thoughts: The Vintage V is the most beautiful dial I have probably ever seen. My ONLY complaint with the watch is it's 36mm size. If it were a 42mm, I could (almost) stop buying watches:). It's also already in the 24hr state, and has the 12 on top (if that's your thing). As an aside, it also looks gorgeous on a Bond NATO strap!

The MLV will need to be converted to 24-hour configuration (it's a GMT in it's unmodified state). This conversion is possible (I had it done), but it's not a "factory" job. In any case, if you want to go "purist", you'll need to budget some time and money for it. The lume dial is also something that won't fit every mood or situation, and that's something to consider as well.

The SSTs are all fantastic watches, and seem to fit small and large wrists equally well (don't know how they pulled that one off, but it's true!).

In my humble opinion, you can't really go wrong with the watches you're looking at. The best option, of course, is to just get them all:)santasmile:)!

Enjoy, and let us know what you decide!

-Michael

·
Registered
1,493 Posts

Here's my take, the winding crown isn't original, the bezel crown is original which is good as they are irreplaceable. If you look closely at the close up pictures you will see a small hole between the 2 and the 4 of the 24, this indicates that the watch is one of the earlier SST's produced between 1969 and 1971. The hole is to facilitate the wire-hack type mechanism also present on the Airman 1, so this watch's original movement should be an AS1901. The dial has been re-lumed at some point and the case back looks relatively new. I would ask him about the movement, although he may be reluctant to take the back off as they are almost impossible to replace without a case press.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts