WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found this nice running Roamer the other day at a local auction. It runs smooth and quiet, you have to hold it to your ear to hear it tick. i bought to flip but wanted to share it here first. The watch is very thin, only 7 or 8 mm. The plating is coming off the bezel, but I love the look. This is the first roamer I have ever bought, and I like the look. Are the Roamer wristwatches thin also?

Attachments

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
i found this nice running Roamer the other day at a local auction. It runs smooth and quiet, you have to hold it to your ear to hear it tick. i bought to flip but wanted to share it here first. The watch is very thin, only 7 or 8 mm. The plating is coming off the bezel, but I love the look. This is the first roamer I have ever bought, and I like the look. Are the Roamer wristwatches thin also?
Roamer was a well respected company that made a variety of watches. You can find some swimming in the 'Bay most of the time.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I have a few Roamer wristwatches - average thickness. I don't collect pocket watches, but I like that look very much. I'd guess 1940's.

Mid 20th century Swiss PW's from mid range makers like Roamer, Cyma and Lanco seem to go very cheaply at the moment - but good luck with the selling.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Looks very good (except the condition of the chromium plating). What is the size ?

Since the movement is signed Roamer Watch Co. and since the company only took this name in 1952 (after its leading brand name) and since the dial style is late '40's..., your watch probably dates to the early 1950's, around 1952-53 I'd say. Very nice historical watch. At that time Roamer was a true manufacture from what I hear, making excellent movements, producing everything themselves.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Since the movement is signed Roamer Watch Co. and since the company only took this name in 1952
Not quite:

- The ROAMER brand was used from 1908 (according to official documentation) and from 1917/18 according to evidence - this appeared on the dials.

- The Roamer brand was used on the movements in the 1920s - this was in addition to the MST logo from about 1927.

What happened in 1952 was that the name of the company (MST) was changed to Roamer. This was independent of the use of the Roamer branding.

That style of logo however was from 1938 onwards, I would put the pocket watch in the 1940s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts