WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Ukraine concoction: "This watch from pocket was altered in wrist watch."

That means that they have taken a pocket watch, soldered lugs on it, completely redone the dial moving the 12 from the crown position....

It is neither a vintage pocket watch nor a vintage wristwatch.

We advise not to buy from the Ukraine; and do not consider any dials that have a mixture of Arabic and Roman numerals - they were never made like that.;-)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I only took a very quick look at this watch and thought it was interesting but the face bothered me with the mix of number types.

I was going to keep away regardless, but I thought it could be an interesting discussion.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Regarding your other question, yes, the lume from any watch of that era would be shot by now. The radium would still be hot, but the Zinc Sulfide fluor that provides the actual luminescence would be shot. I get no light from any of my radium-dialed watches from even as recent as the 1960s.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Absolutely not
Lume is WRONG for 1930
I think NO Rolex with seconds at '9'
100% Franken
GUARANTEED

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,661 Posts
As Marrick has pointed out, these listings are honest - in the sense that they contain everything you need to know. The problem is that it's buried in a pile of not so relevant information about the history etc, and all in poor English which needs a careful eye to interpret. In that sense the only discussion that is relevant to me is why people don't bother actually reading the descriptions.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Hi Mirius,

As Marrick has pointed out, these listings are honest - in the sense ....
Many are in fact, but this one not. While some of these Ukrainian junk watches actually contain few original parts, this one has not any part which ever was in touch with Rolex. Even a Molnia Movement is nearer to the Cortebert movements applied in Rolex pocket watches.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yep clearly a Cortebert caliber as Roland suggests (good caliber but not a Rolex). If you see a 'Rolex' with a sub seconds at the 9,
it is both not a Rolex and a pocket movement converted to wrist watch.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
I don't quite understand. He states its a redial, he states its a conversion. That was pretty blatanty said.

As for the rest, I'm nowhere near an expert.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Drop of a Hat - He also states it is a ROLEX, which it is clearly NOT.
Did you not read my post?

I commented on the fact that he clearly told the truth regarding the OP's question, and whether it was a conversion or not.

And then......

"As for the rest, I am nowhere near an expert".

I guess you looked upon my post like everybody else read the eBay listing. Quickly. Missing key parts that would answer the subsequent inquiries.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I am sorry I thought you referred to the fact that the guy disclosed the technical details but failed to disclose the fact this is not really a Rolex to begin with :-x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts