WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '60's Rolex chronograph that needs servicing.

Is it best to take this to a authorized dealer and have them have it serviced?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here is the watch:

As I've mentioned in several other threads, my great-grandfather was a watch collector. He died 30 years ago, and all of his collection has been boxed up. This is one of his watches. I am a novice in regards to watch collectiing, especially vintage watches. I know next to nothing.

The case reference is 6238. I googled this, and I am a little stunned. I keep seeing crazy valuation numbers. Is this correct?

The main difference I see though, is that mine says Tiffany & Co, where others do not. Is this significant? Also, the bracelet on the watch is just one of those flex steel ones, which I assume is not original. Apparently my great-grandfather loved these bracelets.

Regardless, I want to have the watch serviced and wearable. Is someone such as Bob Ridley preferable over a Rolex dealer?

Thanks,

Ty

·
Registered
677 Posts
Indeed that watch is very valuable.

Back when Tiffany & Co was a Rolex dealer, they would add their name to the dials. These double branded watches are rare and probably even more valuable.

The problem with a Rolex dealer (which will probably just send to a Rolex Service Center) is that they may try to replace the dial without returning the original dial to you. This would be bad because that dial is a significant chunk of the watch's value. They also may just say the watch is too old to be repaired. I would say Bob Ridley is preferred.

Some vintage collectors would also opt not to have the case/bezel polished because it removes a minuscule amount of metal and removes some of the vintage "character." Up to you.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Wow - amazing. And yes, probably very very valuable. I would ask Bob Ridley for a quote / estimate on whether he can service this piece. I'm not sure who else I would trust for something like this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do not, and I repeat, do not let anyone other than Bob Ridley touch this classic vintage Rolex. He is not the cheapest - he is the best for vintage Rolexes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Points taken. Thanks!

I emailed Bob Ridley tonight about the watch and will give him a call tomorrow, if able.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Mr Ridley did the rebuild on my dad's watch. A true Texas gentleman and a pleasure to work with. You're welcome to mention my name. He will recognize it.

And yes, your watch is quite valuable. Consider insuring it. You'll need an appraisal and unless he's changed his policy Mr Ridley no longer does them, so you'll need to go elsewhere for that.

Jeannie

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Jeannie! I have an telephone appointment to speak with Mr Ridley tomorrow afternoon. I agree I should look into insurance. It is currently in a fireproof safe, but insurance would ease the worry. However, to me the value is in the family history and is thus irreplaceable.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
However, to me the value is in the family history and is thus irreplaceable.
That is, of course, both the advantage and disadvantage of an heirloom watch. It's one of a kind, and, unfortunately, you can't insure sentiment. Money makes a poor substitute for a special watch, but it's better than no watch AND no money.

Jeannie

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you do use Mr Ridley to restore your great Rolex,I think we all would like to see some pictures after it is done.I am sure it will look amazing!!!I am sending my 1956 "Datejust" to him for a new crystal,re new all gaskets & time the 1065 1/4 turn movement,also relume the dagger style hands if he can match the old faded lume behind the markers...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke with him yesterday, and plan on sending him a couple watches. I will certainly do before/after pictures and share them here! He said that it may take up to three months, so it'll be a bit of a wait. I can't wait.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great set of threads Jeannie! Beautiful watch! Do you wear your watch often?

It is probably a good example of how my watch may look on the inside. Glad to know that Mr. Ridley has ample experience in this situation. I'll need to remember to ask him to take some before after pictures of the movement.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts