I have searched, a lot, and cannot find it anywhere
It has a screw on front and back
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't want to be the provider of bad news. I'm NOT a Rolex Expert, but here are my thoughts :

Either the dial has been re-printed, either it's a forgery... Rolex are said to be "perfect" and this dial is far from perfect.

Maybe you should show us the movement. It looks like a 1920's Rolex, but wait for other opinions, I'm not an expert.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The "Rolex" stamps seems unusually crisp for an almost 100 year old watch, and the use of the "hammer" is unusual (though not impossible, since that symbol was introduced in the mid 20's). Odd, however, that there's no swiss hallmark to go with it. What's the number within the hammer head? ALso, I don't recognize the british office code, but the "d" doesn't line up with anything other then Sheffield (1921) which is too early for that particular Rolex stamp, I think.

edit: could be Glasgow; my normal source of date codes doesn't actually list those, but I checked the web and the d could be 1926. The cartouche is wrong, but those frequently are. However, I'm not sure they'd still have been using "7 world records"; I think they were up to 16 by 1926...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, to me, there are a few concerns. Assuming the movement is legit (despite it doesn't look like a movement rolex used like the old FHF or Alpina), the hands are not legit and the dial, badly restored ruins the history of the watch.

Maybe you should ask to have it re-dailed, but it's not an inexpensive task.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Take another look. The click is different, and the location of dial screws, case screws and stem release screw are all different. Those aren't minor, cosmetic things either. Your watch was simply based on the same ebauche that Rolex was using at the time.

HEre's a picture of an actual Rolex 500; note the subtle differences: mvc-146f_000.jpg (from http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/Rolex.htm)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well this watch has been through 2 different Rolex dealers in London and they believed it to be genuine, as do I.
I just needed help with the model but as you have all decided it is a fake I will write to Rolex for clarity

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would also be worried about the spelling of "Rubies". In the 17-jewel version of the 500 movement, it uses the spelling "Rubis", which is assume is a latin language (french, maybe?) style spelling. "Rubies" would be an english spelling of the word, which leads me to believe that it was stamped/engraved in England or America (or for that market).

I am no expert of any sort, and I am completely ignorant of the process by which Swiss companies pass on ebauches to other Swiss companies, or how those finished watches/movements are passed on to the jeweller. It may be possible that the jeweller was responsible for the spelling of "Rubies", or it may be that Rolex spelled it differently depending on the target market. I just haven't seen any spelling other than "Rubis" on any watches I've looked at on here or eBay to this point in my watch collecting career (which has only been going on for the past 5 months or so).

At some point it seems that pretty much all watch companies selling to America changed their language to "Jewels" instead of "Rubis". I'll have to see if I can find an explanation of the terminology relating to watch jewels at some point.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
did rolex used the crown logo back in the 1920 ?
Oyster was introduced 1926

CROWn on 'crown' around 1950
Crown on dial I can see on 1929, but rare till 40s

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Well this watch has been through 2 different Rolex dealers in London and they believed it to be genuine, as do I.
I just needed help with the model but as you have all decided it is a fake I will write to Rolex for clarity
Well I have a pretty good collection of early Rolex's and a lot of Rolex books.
Rolex did make a case with a front bezel like yours
That aside NO other part of your watch looks correct for a Rolex

Please write to Marcus Hardy here:
Vintage Watches including - Asprey, Breitling, Cartier,- Dunhill, Eterna, Girard-Perregaux, H. Moser, Harrods, Harwood, Hermes, Heuer, IWC, Jaeger LeCoultre, JW Benson, Longines, Mappin & Webb, Movado, Omega, Rolex, Tiffany & Co, Ulysse Nardin, Unive

He is as close to an expert that we may find

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Are you confident the back is also wrong?
Can Rolex themselves not help?
I feel back is wrong
NO CHANCE, that Rolex will help
Markus Hardy or Dowling are your best bet
a

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Is that not a Rolex 'Rebberg' movement....

see link:

NAWCC - Rolex Rebberg | TimeKeeperForum.com

OR

Rolex Officer's Watch For Sale In UK 1923 | Vintage Rolex Watches | Vintage Watches

Personally, without having the watch in hand... I would have said the Case and Movement could be original... dial probably refinished.
The site you link to is Marcus Hardy 'THE EXPERT' on Rolex
BUT
his piece has a correct Rolex (aegler) movement, a correct dial and hands, and a correct case

The OP watch is nothing like that. What are you comparing?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts