WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watch.jpg
Hi all. I have been wearing this '67 Omega/550 movement for about a year, and I am thinking of getting a decent strap for it. I have been using this vintage looking strap I got from Finn Watch Straps, and I like it but am thinking of something a bit more stylish. Any suggestions? When people comment on my watch they always ask if the strap is original too?!?!? My wife thinks it look hammered, and I guess it does. I almost pulled the trigger on a dark blue horween strap from the same seller but thought I would ask suggestions here first. I am a teacher, and dress casual most of the time. Love my watch. Had it serviced six months ago and am running +2 secs a day.
On another note, my wrist is 7.25" and am thinking of buying a second watch, a Nomos 38 night. I know this is the vintage forum, but do u think that might work for my wrist size? Oh and btw great forum.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
I have one like that (at least it looks rather like that one) for my no-name Pilot watch. I find that, without the side stitching running down the length of the strap, the upper and lower layers of the strap separate too easily. Still, it looks nice and even when it starts to split, the strap does last for a reasonable time after that.

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
I don't like dressy watches with distressed straps, just my opinion. I would replace it with a fully-stitched flat (or very lightly padded) leather strap. Color-matched stitching would be a little more dressy, contrasting stitching a little sportier. Tan or light brown would be my choice, but that watch can take almost any color strap, so brown or black would also be fine, but more formal.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
I love the way a vintage watch looks on a lizard strap...my Gruen Precision on a thin brown lizard.
New straps that match the period are the best choice, IMO. Leather or skin straps were never expected to last as long as the watch head and as such would be expected to need replacing from time to time. So an old watch head on a new strap doesn't look out of place. Distressed straps are sometimes OK on field watches.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I almost purchased similar strap for my vintage chronograph.

I like simple and understated but I am going to try this new dressier strap. View attachment 15119453 View attachment 15119451
to the top strap and
to the watch. Personally, I think you need something more classy (like to top strap) for this particular watch.
Thanks mate. I tried it with different straps. Some look horrendous like this one. I immediately recognize how ugly it looks. I don’t have an imagination. It looks great in my head and then I put it on and it looks ... well it looks like on that picture. C1A6CFF6-6962-40B2-904F-D8F0B83368BD_1589473755110.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Thanks mate. I tried it with different straps. Some look horrendous like this one. I immediately recognize how ugly it looks. I don’t have an imagination. It looks great in my head and then I put it on and it looks ... well it looks like on that picture.
I always say when in doubt go with a plain tan or black cowhide strap.

·
Registered
893 Posts
+ 1 for an unpadded (or lightly padded) lizard strap..black is more formal if you want a dressier style or my preference for more relaxed would be a Teju lizard style.

Waha watches featured service.jpg

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
If you want for dress. Tapered slim strap in black with black stitching. Gator, croc, lizard or smooth black leather. Semi matte finish

Casual - light brown or tan strap. Still matching stitching and slim.

DON

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
In case you are interested in getting the correct bracelet, I believe it would be a 7-row BOR 1037 or 1068, with 70 or 570 end-links. Realistically, you would have to expect to pay $150-$200 these days, if you are patient. There is one Japanese listing on eBay right now, but the asking price is $300, which is far above market value IMO. There are some other listings where you could buy a bracelet and end-links separately.

de-ville-advert.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts