WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post so apologies if I say anything that doesn't fit with site etiquette!

I've spent the last few days looking online for a smart looking, quality watch and think I've got my heart set on a vintage Seamaster. Most of the ones I've seen seem to be from the 60's. I've seen some seriously varied prices and had a few questions I'd like to put to you guys:

What should I expect to pay for something of that style and age?
Is there anything I should expect to come with the watch or to look out for?
What is the deal with servicing? I've never really had an expensive or older watch before so don't know how often that should be done and how much it should cost.

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
As a rule-If you don't have a long experience with vintage -ebay can be a real crap shoot. It takes a LOT of preparation, research and opinions to not get the 'wrong' vintage for the wrong price.

If I were just starting out now and knew what I know now? I would probably go to one of the well known and trusted online vintage sellers like Farfo, Dalor or a number of others (not plugging either of those 2) and pay the premium price for a vintage that at least comes with a service warranty.

Depending on what you mean by vintage Seamaster (A Dive watch or a sport SM?) prices will vary a lot. A nice vintage SM in gold or SS thats not a diver can be had for between $400-$800 depending on rarity, details, style. Vintage divers expect to top $1000 and up. They are the 'gail' for many collectors and retailers know it. Eventually-if you choose to collect-you should be able to pick up nice vintage Omega SM pieces for $200-$400.
good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I don't really want the gold. I am looking for 60's/70's at around £400 ($600?) if possible. I've seen a couple at an auction site but their guide price was about £200 so wasn't so sure that was right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've managed to find this online. A bit over what I was looking to spend and the newer style rather than the old but it does appeal to me. I'll keep looking online over the next few days to see if I can find anything more appealing. I haven't had chance to look through the for sale part of this site but if anyone has seen something that might match what I'm looking for I would be grateful if you could point me in that direction.

Omega Seamaster James Bond For Sale | Vintage Watches

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can probably find the watch you just linked for $600-$700, reason being it´s a vintage Quartz watch so it wont really hit sky-high prices. As a norm automatics will be more collectable (and more expensive for sure compared to watches of the same period). On the other hand you can find the vintage 60´s one for $300 to $400.

Some basic tips for a newbie buyer: look for an unrestored dial, they will have flat top A´s in the word AUTOMATIC (and also small SERIFS on the tip of the letters, looks really elegant), if you see the word AUTOMATIC has pointy A´s close the page and keep looking.

Once you find something you like, you must ask for the reference number inside the caseback (for example Omega 2846). Once you have the reference google it for similar watches. You must cross-reference the details to make sure the movement inside the watch you are looking to buy is the same as the others you found on google, for the example above an Omega 2846 will have a c.501 Movement, so if you see it has a different caliber just close the page and keep looking. Never buy a watch whose caliber does not correspond, that is watch collecting 101.

Basic tips but so you have an idea,

Good luck there!

I've managed to find this online. A bit over what I was looking to spend and the newer style rather than the old but it does appeal to me. I'll keep looking online over the next few days to see if I can find anything more appealing. I haven't had chance to look through the for sale part of this site but if anyone has seen something that might match what I'm looking for I would be grateful if you could point me in that direction.

Omega Seamaster James Bond For Sale | Vintage Watches

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Really struggling trying to find exactly what I want. Doesnt help that I don't really know where to look or trust. If you know of any British places I'd appreciate the heads up. Think I'll be settling for a Smiths Everest from timefactors.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Thanks for the help. Really struggling trying to find exactly what I want. Doesnt help that I don't really know where to look or trust. If you know of any British places I'd appreciate the heads up. Think I'll be settling for a Smiths Everest from timefactors.
smiths is a fine watch. i'd like to find a vintage I would wear every so often

1 - 7 of 7 Posts