WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage Seiko 7T42 6A00 which I've had from new (1986). It's been stuck in a drawer for ages so I dusted the old girl off, and replaced the battery. However, there's not a peep out of her, the second hand hasn't budged one single notch. The battery is a brand new LR927 punching out 1.54v, and yes, I've shorted out the AC and +ve side of the battery, all to no avail. The battery contacts are all clean & shiny, and bent in the correct positions. Is there anything else 'simple' I can try as to be honest, I'm at the end of technical knowledge now. Or, has the old girl simply had her time?

P1020136_cr.jpg

P1020140_cr.jpg

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Silly question, are your tweezers definitely conductive?

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Silly question, are your tweezers definitely conductive?

Not that silly! LOL Yes, I have both types of tweezers, and the metal ones are definitely conductive...

P1020135_cr.jpg

Reactions: artblakey

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don't give up on her, I have another version of this with the same movement from 1992 and it still runs like a champ. Good luck! 👍

Tapatalk from an LG G Flex2

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got an almost instant response from Seiko UK service department, who advised that obviously as the watch is 30 years old, they may not stock the appropriate parts nay longer, but to post it in to them and they'll assess it for me. So, I'll pop it in the post this afternoon...

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
A service with Seiko UK could be more than 120 pounds, so check cost first. See if you have a good local shop, sometime is possible to restart quartz watches using a special impulse machine or a drop of oil strategically placed.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I, too, would consult a knowledgeable local watchmaker first. Support your local trade 😉

Tapatalk from an LG G Flex2

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
In the same drawer as the above watch, I also had another vintage Seiko from the same era, 1986, which to be honest, hasn't been on my wrist for over 20 years. Just took the back off, replaced the battery, shorted out AV & +ve and she fired up instantly! I'm now wearing it today, and goodness, does it bring back some memories!

P1020143_cr.jpg

Seiko 7T32 7A00

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a quick update. Received the attached letter today from Seiko, I still haven't stopped laughing! :-d Obviously I have phoned them and asked for the watch to be returned to me - it'll go back in a drawer for another while as I have now subsequently purchased a new watch which for now, has quenched my appetite for having something different on my wrist LOL

letter no name.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts