WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning the house and I found an old Seiko automatic that I bought a long time ago when I was still new to watch collecting. I bought it for cheap and I realized why; minute hand doesn't move at all.

Put it away for years and now here it is. Has a nice patina and it's ticking but it just won't adjust the minute hand. Maybe it's worth fixing... Don't know yet:

As I look closer though, I found oddities:

It's a day-date with English and Spanish (DOM for Sunday) but the label on the face says,

"6309 - 884 L T (Daini Seikoshu Lightning Bolt) MOV'T AND DIAL JAPAN CASED HONG KONG"

The back plate however says,

"STAINLESS STEEL 6309-8679 A2"

After researching for my Pepsi Seiko, I know where to look for the model no. of the watch but shouldn't the front and back match?

Also, it was interesting that it said Hong Kong on the watch face. Any word on its' history?

Cheers!

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
The problem with these Seikos is the collector base is not large. So finding an interconnect group of people who can supply information is not easy.

As I understand it, the dial and caseback should have the same movement number embedded in the number sequences. I suspect this is a Seiko 6309. I have seen what the other numbers mean in some website... maybe Seiko's? According to Kevin Chan's old Seiko Divers Reference, "The cal. 6309 movement is a successor of the 6105. It has 17J and runs at 21,600 bph. It's non-hacking and has a quickset day/date calendar mechanism.."

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with these Seikos is the collector base is not large. So finding an interconnect group of people who can supply information is not easy.

As I understand it, the dial and caseback should have the same movement number embedded in the number sequences. I suspect this is a Seiko 6309. I have seen what the other numbers mean in some website... maybe Seiko's? According to Kevin Chan's old Seiko Divers Reference, "The cal. 6309 movement is a successor of the 6105. It has 17J and runs at 21,600 bph. It's non-hacking and has a quickset day/date calendar mechanism.."
Thanks for that site. Interesting how this watch has a diver's movement. Or is it the opposite, meaning the movement is primarily known to be in diver's watches?

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Thanks for that site. Interesting how this watch has a diver's movement. Or is it the opposite, meaning the movement is primarily known to be in diver's watches?
It is the encasement that makes a diver's watch, not the movement. Movements can be found in a variety of encasements, often by different makers.

The 'Hong Kong' mention comes from the era when it was still part of the British Empire and not part of China proper. Western companies had a very difficult time dealing with China proper companies at this time so set up manufacturing in Hong Kong. I suspect this is from the 80s.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Hi,

As Eeeb says, the dial and case back should have the save movement cal reference... Which it does. 6309.

The other numbers refer to the dial design and case design. I have owned many variations of this watch, including a few diver style cases.

The other 6 digit number on the case back will help date the production of the watch.

Marc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
IIRC:
63 - mvmt series
'0' - adjusted to 0 positions (unadjusted)
'9' - automatic mvmt w/ day and date
I will add: the '9' in 8679 indicates export market (USA e.g.) and the A2 indicates which set of protocols Seiko service
(Coserv) would use when servicing. The 6309 m,vmt was used in quite a few different seiko's unlike the 6105 which was only seldom used
outside the 6105-8xxx divers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I decided to get it overhauled and finally got it back today! My watchmaker was happy that I decided to get it fixed because the internals were great after the overhaul.

Now to find an original bracelet. Thanks for the information that all of you were able to provide!

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Congrats on having the work done, ebay will be your best bet to find an original seiko bracelet. Mine says hi and forum member Marc helped me out with this one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well, I decided to get it overhauled and finally got it back today! My watchmaker was happy that I decided to get it fixed because the internals were great after the overhaul.

Now to find an original bracelet. Thanks for the information that all of you were able to provide!

If you give us the serial number we can give you the year and month of manufacture.

·
Registered
92 Posts
One of the many things l love about Seiko is the amount of information available nust by looking at the watch. The first digit denotes the year, the second is the month. Its left to you to establish the decade. February 1982, 2298th watch of the line for that month.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the many things l love about Seiko is the amount of information available nust by looking at the watch. The first digit denotes the year, the second is the month. Its left to you to establish the decade. February 1982, 2298th watch of the line for that month.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030X using Tapatalk
Thanks for that tid-bit! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts