WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, my father was gifted this watch new back in 1980/1981. It has probably been sitting for the last 30 years or more without being worn. I am trying to get it back to functioning state for sentimental value, not for resale.

So far, I've cleaned up the outer case carefully and popped the back to replace the battery. After fiddling with the crown and pushers I figured out the digital functions and how to move the hands. Every digital part of the watch seems fully functional. Additionally, I am able to manually move the minute/hour hands by rotating the crown in the second position out.

However, the hands are not moving with the passing of time. The second hand is not ticking and neither the hour hand or minute hand move.

My first inclination is to take it to a jewelry store / watchmaker when they are available in the near future, but otherwise is there anything that could be an obvious / easy fix for this issue? I also have the original bracelet for this watch, but I removed it (hardest spring bar wrangling of my life) in hopes of replacing the strap with a different 19mm strap that's not a hair-puller.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

IMG-6457.jpg

IMG-6458.jpg

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
I think the analog section took a dump

It could be a bad coil or other electronic issue. If the hands move manually then the gear train (yes quartz has a gear train) is not filled with crude

Spencer Klein fixes these model watches

https://www.kleinvintagewatchrepair.com/services-offered

Other then that, it might be cheaper to find a H557 watch that has everything working and use that as a donor movement (use your hands and dial)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your response. I will look into both things!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nothing to add to the above, which sounds pretty likely. Just wanted to say, cool watch!

I've got a Silverwave variant of this model, but I like the gold tone bezel and dial of your version. Mine serves as my "sports watch" that I use playing tennis, or any other activity where I might want a chrono (or alarm) and don't want to worry about shock or vibration.

DSCF8356.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts