WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Are there any 6117-6010/9 and/or a 62 17-7010 owners out there?

I would like to confirm that these two watches share the same case - and hopefully confirm measurements (case size, lug to lug, and lug/bracelet size). Fingers crossed?
I've got a 6217-7010. Can't speak to the comparison with a 6117-60xx, however I can report my calipers read:

Diameter: 38.5mm
Lug-to-lug: 44.5mm measured at the tips of the lugs.
Lug width: 19mm

Caseback date on mine is November 1967.

From pictures I've seen, I'd venture to guess that the black sunburst dials all had the same color yellowish/brownish/reddish chapter rings that have faded to different shades. I doubt Seiko made different dials for this model, at least not intentionally.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thank you! I've updated my info on that model. Really appreciate - this is a very hard model to track down! I have a Dec 1967 case back documented - so no proof it ever was produced in 1968.

On the black/gray sunburst dial, I am intrigued. I have a 6217-7000 black dial with the white and yellow 24 hour ring. I didn't know what to call that color - but one of the scans calls it "Yellow". I also have clear pictures of the white and burnt red/orange 24 hour ring on the black dial - initially I thought this was introduced in the 6117-601X, when the GMT hand went red - but I have found this dial on the 6217-7010 and the 6117-601X - and those dials are otherwise very different. Also, this one is listed in their catalog scan.

Hold on, actually you can see them both here in the same photo:

Per Microsoft Translate: 5) SEIKO World Time / 17 jewel dial shot colored yellow and white to make the 24-hour display easier to understand.

For some reason the translator is not giving me the wording for #7.

Here's the reddish one in the a catalog shot from the 6117-601X models:

And these seem legit on the 6217-7010:

Its possible the yellow color is a faded red color - but I currently believe they are actually two separate dials. TBD
That photo is very interesting! Showing the 1st, 3rd, and 4th generation World Times all together. That definitely shows there are separate yellow and more reddish versions, but whether both were used on 6217-7010s is another question.

Here's a couple pics of mine. It's got a standard "horseshoe" caseback. I'd describe the color of the nighttime portion of the ring as bronze.

From the Hub City Vintage sales post:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Next question / hunch....

Does ANYONE have ANY generation of a SEIKO World Time with a WHITE or OFF-WHITE (not silver) dial that does NOT have a linen pattern / finish?

I have a hunch the "flat white" versions of these watches are just a lighting effect in photos - and in earlier watches (gen 1 through 3) these are all silver / linen dials - and on the 4th generation it is off white (not silver) also with linen texture finish. This will reduce my dial count a bit, but I think may be more accurate.

Please prove me wrong.

Otherwise, I think I will amend the document to remove most "flat white" dial references. Its funny that sales listings say "rare linen dial" - when really that was THE dial, with the only truly rare exception being the early sunburst black/gray dials.
I've always thought those were lighting issues. All the clear photos of the dials I've seen have been silver linen patterned, and I've seen a couple in person that were linen.

Also, I want to thank you for creating this thread, and this document. I had been kind of blah on my World Time, which I bought on impulse and regretted, and I'd been planning to put it on the market, but I took it off the cheap ugly strap it came on and put it on a bit nicer one from WatchGecko and I'm appreciating it so much more! I've been enjoying wearing it for the first time, and it's due to this thread and your document reminding me of why I wanted one in the first place. Thank you @dapellegrini !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.