WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Up to 416 watches cataloged.

Lots of articles up now. My favorite is the Reference Cities detail and breakdown - just got updated again today. You get a list off changes on all 6 bezels (not counting colors), then a google map showing the cities and changes - and a rarity index - see how common your bezel is in the series.

Several other new articles up as well, including one for validating 7000's:

If you have anything to add or see anything incorrect - please let me know!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't think I've ever posted on WUS before this, but I wanted to say thanks for your site! I've been using it thoroughly the last few days trying to track down a world timer for myself. Your site has been invaluable, thorough, and well organized thank you!

I also wanted to ask if you had any additional information on the 6117-6400 variants that have the black dials, grey 24h rings, and white city rings? I like the look best, but I can't find much information other than "it might be genuine".

Picture for clarity:
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thank you for the positive feedback.

RE: the 6117-6400's with black dial and gray 24-hour ring (silver bezel), here is what I know so far:
  • Examples run the entire production length - from 1969 through 1976
  • 20% or so of the cataloged examples of black dials are of this variation
  • All of these are 6400's - no 6409's.
  • The details on the dials seem to be accurate (lume application, SEIKO logo, 24-hour ring font and text, etc)
  • Dial codes are all 6400T, like the authentic black dial with orange/red 24 hour ring.
  • And IMPORTANTLY: the position of WORLD TIME at both 6-o'clock and 12-o'clock correlates with the larger dataset of known authentic watches, with the 6-o'clock examples all dating before 1971
I am not aware of any sales literature or ad scans that show this setup, and no original owners have come forward (to me at least) to vouch for it. That said, I do believe it is likely an original configuration. I could explain away a well copied dial - but the way the dataset aligns with with the other versions - particularly the timing of the position switch of WORLD TIME on the dial - seems to strongly suggest it is authentic. And even though dials can be replicated with great precision these days - that doesn't seem to be the case with these watches. The documented aftermarket dials have pretty obvious tells, this dial does not. The lume is the correct shape, color and placement, the hands are the correct black dial version, the printing is crisp and clean, the Seiko logo correct etc.

On your example above - you should have a production date between 1972 and 1976 to match the dial and bezel. So the first digit of the serial number should be a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6.

The second digit is the month, 0-9 is Jan-Sept, 0 is Oct, N is November and D is December. The digits after that are a production counter for that year/month.

Here's the data:

seikoworldtime.com

Data Explorer: Vintage Seiko World Time Watches
Filter, sort and compare image date from hundreds of sales listings
seikoworldtime.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your detailed response! The watch in the photo isn't mine, I just grabbed it off Google to help visualize what I was describing.
If all the dials are 6400's, would that then delineate these as JDM intended models also?

41 - 46 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.