WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you think I m crazy .
As a matter of fact, I probably am :-d

I ve embarqued on a crusade a while back to try and understand why there are such gaps between the back casing dates and the caliber serial number on Speedmasters pro.
From the facts I gathered, I m trying to find out if my theory of the American made Casings could be true or not and I need a lil help in finding evidence that would support or dismiss that theory.
Facts are:
In order to comply with this act, Omega had the stainless steel cases for the Speedmaster Professional manufactured in Luddington, Michigan by the Starr Watch Case Company. The crystals were shipped from Switzerland to the Starr Watch Company where they were installed. The completed case and crystal were then shipped to the Hamilton Watch Company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for inspection and testing. The case and crystals were then shipped to Switzerland where the movements were installed and the entire watch was subjected to final inspection and environmental testing.

It s not anything specific to Omega actually, Star did casings for many Swiss brands.
There have been several vintage Omega ( mostly 1940,1941 right after Europe entered WWII in 39 and before the US followed in ) with SWC or SWCo marked casings consitent with Star made casings. That would also indicate that Omega just like Girard Perregaux amongst others.

Now the question is :

Would Omega have only a couple watches made for the tests or did they order a large number of casing from Star Watch Company ?
We can suppose and speculate in any direction from there, what I am trying to gather are evidences of a large number of casing made for Omega to comply to the 51% quota

Shipping records, SW or SWC or similar markings somewhere in a casing or back casing, tool marks in inches and not milimiters, sales records of the Speedmaster pro or factory shipment records. Records from Hamilton testings etc etc
Basically anything that I could use to cross reference the informations I was able to gather and verify so far.
I started my inquiries with Omega as well.

I might be completely wrong and Omega may never have outsourced the speedies casing in larger numbers but now that I started digging into it I want to find out :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Omega did produce cases with the Star company but as far as I can recall these were to only comply with >50% of watch components made in US. There is no clear evidence that I know of related to the number of watches produced.

I know some of you think I m crazy .
As a matter of fact, I probably am :-d

I ve embarqued on a crusade a while back to try and understand why there are such gaps between the back casing dates and the caliber serial number on Speedmasters pro.
From the facts I gathered, I m trying to find out if my theory of the American made Casings could be true or not and I need a lil help in finding evidence that would support or dismiss that theory.
Facts are:
In order to comply with this act, Omega had the stainless steel cases for the Speedmaster Professional manufactured in Luddington, Michigan by the Starr Watch Case Company. The crystals were shipped from Switzerland to the Starr Watch Company where they were installed. The completed case and crystal were then shipped to the Hamilton Watch Company in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for inspection and testing. The case and crystals were then shipped to Switzerland where the movements were installed and the entire watch was subjected to final inspection and environmental testing.

It s not anything specific to Omega actually, Star did casings for many Swiss brands.
There have been several vintage Omega ( mostly 1940,1941 right after Europe entered WWII in 39 and before the US followed in ) with SWC or SWCo marked casings consitent with Star made casings. That would also indicate that Omega just like Girard Perregaux amongst others.

Now the question is :

Would Omega have only a couple watches made for the tests or did they order a large number of casing from Star Watch Company ?
We can suppose and speculate in any direction from there, what I am trying to gather are evidences of a large number of casing made for Omega to comply to the 51% quota

Shipping records, SW or SWC or similar markings somewhere in a casing or back casing, tool marks in inches and not milimiters, sales records of the Speedmaster pro or factory shipment records. Records from Hamilton testings etc etc
Basically anything that I could use to cross reference the informations I was able to gather and verify so far.
I started my inquiries with Omega as well.

I might be completely wrong and Omega may never have outsourced the speedies casing in larger numbers but now that I started digging into it I want to find out :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey Joe
Yes I found that one as well and it seems that the dates of 78 and 79 are off as well by 10 years, it would be 68 and 69.
I m trying to find people close to luddington to try and check their archives.
here s another one about the Star company's history

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...roLAAAAIBAJ&sjid=8FUDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7368,1383475

I contacted the city and looking into it, contacted people at Hamilton's also since Hamilton whould have done the quality check according to these infos, they should have records of it somewhere if the quantities were large enough.
Also contacted Omega but I don t know how cooperative they will be.
Roorocks and myself both have a 69 back casing ( his ) and a 71 ( mine) that we are trying to get taken apart at a watch maker together and have him try and find any indication, similarities, markings , tool markings ( inches vs metric etc etc ) soon. We re trying to figure out how to get that going. It d be a good way to start the process.

If anyone knows somebody at Hamilton it could also help . I should post this on the hamilton's forum too !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts