WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

For those of you familiar with the vintage Stowa B-Uhr, were any of the movements cased as pocket watches originally, or all as wristwatches?

Thanks in advance.|>

Stephen

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gentlemen,

For those of you familiar with the vintage Stowa B-Uhr, were any of the movements cased as pocket watches originally, or all as wristwatches?

Thanks in advance.|>

Stephen
Hi Stephen,

as far as I know only in "Wristwatches" :) if you are willing to call them so.
They are really BIG with 55 m Diameter. Here is a shot from the watch of a Collectors-Friend of mine.

Greetings

Frank

S

·
0 Posts
They probably have been in pocket watch cases too. These B-watches have been made for the German Luftwaffe by only 5 manufacturers

A. Lange & Söhne
Laco (Lacher & Co)
Stowa (Walter Storz)
Wempe (Chronometerwerke Hamburg)
IWC

and contained high quality pocket watch movements:

Lange & Söhne: cal. 48/1
(due to limited capacities watches have been assembled by Huber/Munich, Felsing/Berlin, Schieron/Stuttgart, Schätzle & Tschudin/Pforzheim, Wempe/Hamburg).
Laco: Durowe cal. D 5
Stowa: Unitas cal. 2812
Wempe: Thommen cal. 31
IWC: cal. 52 SC
Due to the specifications of the RLM (Reichsluftfahrtministerium) all B-watches had the following features in common:

- A case diameter of 55 mm
- Marked on the back with FL 23883 (FL = flight, 23 = navigation)
- Equipped with large crowns in order to be used with gloves
- Hacking movement (the second hand stops when pulling out the crown / essential for a precise time setting)
- Breguet balance spring
- Regulated and tested as chronometers
- Long leather strap (to be worn on the sleeve of a flight jacket).

I have to admit that Ie never seen a Unitas 2812 in a pocket watch but there mights haven been some.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. |>

What are your thoughts on these pics?

The movement and caseback certainly look correct, as does the dial, I'm just not sure about the case itself - though it is marked with the correct number.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, looks like a "marriage" (of case and movement).

From the A-Lange B-watches is known that after May 1945 some pocket watches with cal. 48/1 have been procuded. To be exact: 112 pieces left the A.Lange&Söhne building.

Don´t know if this happend with Stowa too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that was my thought too.

I hope to get Jorg to comment on this at some point when he's back in the office.

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks, that was my thought too.

I hope to get Jorg to comment on this at some point when he's back in the office.
Well, you may also try to contact Mr. Knirim at [email protected]. He´s a real (!!) expert on military timepieces and wrote one of the best watch related books I own. His website is very enjoyable and informative: www.knirim.de.

Take your time. It´s worth a visit.

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,772 Posts
Here is another pic from Glashutte Original showcase where Mike and I made the trip last year.

I'm still drooling over the Pilot's watches easpecially the pocket watch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts