WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a strap like this one I found at Theo and Harris. The problem is that I need a 22mm, and they don't seem to carry it.

Does anyone have a recommendation for another brand? I'm not looking for the cheapest option. Instead I'd like something of good quality.

Thanks!

coal strap.jpg

·
Registered
4,397 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the opposite problem, as so many of my watches are vintage and require 18mm and 19mm straps. I have yet to find straps like this in any of those sizes with a high level of quality. I'd love to see suggestions for this as well!

·
Registered
323 Posts
The colareb siena looks almost exactly like the pic.
I also fully endorse Fluco, love their straps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
Browse Etsy. Many sellers offering cut to size...not what I'd call full custom, in that they don't necessarily offer imprinting or the like. But made to order, so you can often pick width, taper, and length for the strap, plus buckle and stitching options. Most list their leathers, so you can, say, focus on Horween.

EDIT: one specific maker I've used is JonesInTokyo. Navy blue shell cordovan for an Oris Thelonius Monk. Gorgeous.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I may have to buy a few just to see how they all compare.
I did that when I realized that I was into leather straps as much as watches themselves. After about 6 months, I recognized that I was pretty particular about the qualities I was looking for in a strap. Since you wrote that you weren't looking for the cheapest options and cared about quality, let me suggest you look at Bas and Lokes. They're more expensive than a lot of what has been mentioned thus far, but I think they are worth it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did that when I realized that I was into leather straps as much as watches themselves. After about 6 months, I recognized that I was pretty particular about the qualities I was looking for in a strap. Since you wrote that you weren't looking for the cheapest options and cared about quality, let me suggest you look at Bas and Lokes. They're more expensive than a lot of what has been mentioned thus far, but I think they are worth it.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think Bas and Lokes is better than Bulang and Sons?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think Bas and Lokes is better than Bulang and Sons?
I think you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference TBH. I've wavered and dithered for ages whether to go with one or the other and finally decided that they're having a laugh with their pricing. It's too much for a bit of offcut leather with a bit of stitching and there are other sellers ie Etsy, ebay offering comparable quality for half the money or less. My fave vintage is from WatchGecko - they offer 22mm for £40 (no connection).

https://www.watchgecko.com/leather-watch-straps/handmade-leather-watch-straps

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference TBH. I've wavered and dithered for ages whether to go with one or the other and finally decided that they're having a laugh with their pricing. It's too much for a bit of offcut leather with a bit of stitching and there are other sellers ie Etsy, ebay offering comparable quality for half the money or less. My fave vintage is from WatchGecko - they offer 22mm for £40 (no connection).
Sounds like a much more reasonable price there.. Also thought about trying Bas and Lokes, Bulang and Sons or Hodinkee. Didn't buy a vintage strap yet because of their prices.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
my strap..??
Have to say these look very nice. Well done. I particularly like the tooled edges, something you don't often see.

Hope you don't mind a suggetion, but you may want to use thicker stitching near the lugs, preferably waxed and an ivory/cream shade. We like our vintage straps a bit more macho!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Do you think Bas and Lokes is better than Bulang and Sons?
Bas and Lokes are straps custom made by them. As far as I know, Bulang is a reseller and relabels the straps they sell with their brand. Same with Hodinkee. If you check the Bulang and Hodinkee websites, you'll see they sell some of the same straps. I have 4 B&L straps with a fifth on he way. The leather on the B&L straps I've purchased is thick-ish but bends easily. They seem well-made and durable. I never wore and ended up selling the one Hodinkee strap I purchased. While it looked nice, I had the impression I would wear through it within a year or two. Just my opinion and, granted, a very small sample size. Others might have a different experience. Since there is no way to easily compare straps from different manufacturers, the only way for you to know is to buy what you think looks good and find out for yourself. If you are curious enough, buy a couple of used straps. They've already depreciated and you can always sell them again for what you paid if you don't like them.

To me, straps over $50 always seem expensive for what they are. But based on my year of trying straps from multiple vendors, I've come to the conclusion that straps in the $50-70 range either won't be as durable or are made from lesser materials as more expensive straps. I'd be replacing some of these straps on a yearly basis. I'd rather find something I really like and will enjoy wearing, and be able to wear it for longer. In that context, I don't find B&L prices expensive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts