WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,198 Posts
Just bought my wife one of these. Any idea how to correctly set the moon phase?
The watch pictured does not display the moon phase. There is a sun icon visible in the window so therefore it is a day/night indicator.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's a link to Timex service manuals: Timex Service Manuals
I don't see the jump movements there though...

I agree entirely with this comment, Timex movements are extremely robust and $5 spares and repair watches on ebay can in most cases be cleaned up and given a quick service and if the dial is reasonable will look good. There are service manuals out there, they come up on ebay regularly, but for mechanicals all you have to learn is servicing the 24 movement, the rest are so very similar. Basically oiling the pins at the escape wheel and the visible pivots in the back plate will get most watches running well, if not either the mainspring is worn or the dial needs taken off and the watch soaked in e.g. lighter fuel and all points oiled - rarely necessary in my experience, I have hundreds bought at an average cost of $14.

Electric watches are also simplicity themselves following the service manuals, you only have to remove the shunt bridge and balance and give them a soak and check the alignment of the contact spring then reassemble and oil. Servicing these watches is a great way into watch repair.
Quartz are a different proposition.

Does anyone out there have instructions for the 43,44,55,56 series of jump minute watches?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What Dan said.. only worth servicing yourself. But keep your eyes open for nice ones in lots. The some models seem to bring in crazy prices. With that said, I got this from a friend that had a clock shop. Someone brought in a bag of watches, and this Dorado was in the bag. He knew it was gold so only sold it to me for the gold price, which at the time was $200...

·
Registered
Mostly vintage Timex
12 Posts
Hey James,

That’s my site. Thanks for the love! Much more is still being added so check back.

Here is a new site dedicated to Vintage Timex. They have a very comprehensive identification page.

View attachment 15876299

I imagine this will prove be very helpful to collectors.

Regards,

·
Registered
Mostly vintage Timex
12 Posts
Wow. To get a Dorado for that price. Incredible. And it looks pristine. How does it run?

What Dan said.. only worth servicing yourself. But keep your eyes open for nice ones in lots. The some models seem to bring in crazy prices. With that said, I got this from a friend that had a clock shop. Someone brought in a bag of watches, and this Dorado was in the bag. He knew it was gold so only sold it to me for the gold price, which at the time was $200...
View attachment 15645534

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Runs great when it does, but I rarely wear it, so it sits with no battery until I decide to wear it.. then, usually, I need to go out an buy a battery for it.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts