WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From pictures & articles I've read I came to really like the design & hand-wind movement of Titoni Airmaster and wondering if there's a good place to get one of those for a reasonable price.

There are A LOT of people selling it on ebay for less than $100 which got me suspicious, and many ship from India and China. Are there many fake vintage Titonis floating around the 'bay these days?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Yes there are many fake Titoni on ebay at the moment, along with Tissot, Fortis and others. Most use a basic FHF movement, some have simple engraving on them to make the fakes appear genuine. They usually have garish or faux military style dials.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there are many fake Titoni on ebay at the moment, along with Tissot, Fortis and others. Most use a basic FHF movement, some have simple engraving on them to make the fakes appear genuine. They usually have garish or faux military style dials.
Damn, just what I suspected. Do you know a reliable place to get a genuine vintage Titoni?

Or - what would be a good place to find authentic old Swiss watches? So far I've NOT found anything I liked style-wise besides the Titoni Airmaster, but I am keeping my eyes open!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(continued from my last post on the thread) I am even okay with buying a Vintage Swiss with a FHF movement if I like it and the brand is genuine (defunct or obscure brands okay) - just haven't found anything I like at the moment

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you buy from a reputable seller then you should be okay, there is a nice Airmaster on at the moment for an expensive £215 but it looks genuine at first glance. Also search at Certina, Tissot Seastar and Roamer, again lots of fantasy pieces out there but genuine ones are available. I assume you want a 60s style dress watch?

·
Premium Member
7,629 Posts
There are tons on eBay. I suggest you just educate yourself a bit so you can tell what is authentic, and also pay attention to condition. I just looked at that model, and if you're interested in the model with bombe lugs (like a UG Polerouter), I noticed that many of them are overpolished.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,272 Posts
If you see something you like, then post the pictures here for the experts to assess. Occasionally genuine famous-name Swiss watches appear for sale from places like India, but they are greatly outnumbered by more humble watches re-branded.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm generally wary of watches from India or China since many of them are fake, franken or really badly refinished.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a Titoni Air Master from China. My watchmaker assured me it was totally authentic. It was not particularly expensive either. I have posted it a few times on WRUW and got plenty of likes ( for what thats worth ) The prices have been rising steadily for the same hand wound 17 J model. Its one of my favorite watches. My point is this really: That you cant paint all dealers from China with the same broad brush. I see plenty of British sellers that are reselling Mumbai specials. Should they be trusted just because they are British? Im not going to shill for this dealer..but if your interested in where I bought the watch, PM me. And good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts