WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
You have some great looking Tudors! While I'm not sure I agree with the premise of your thread, I'd definitely say that I think that both Rolex and Tudor vintage watches are very cool watches to own.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Tudor means zip to the non-watch nerds out there....about 99.9% of the population then!

Those that have even heard of Tudor tend to think of them as cheap Rolex...so I agree with you, pretty cool. But cooler?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Tudor is slightly under the radar compared to Rolex. Definitely more of a "watch guy's" watch.
I think they are cooler, partly for the quoted reason. Cooler, but not necessarily better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm sure many of you follow Hodinkee, and Clymer's views on the world of Horology. I am inclined to side with Clymer on this one, Tudor did (and does) make some fantastic watches. In terms of vintage watches, I think Tudor made some of the coolest chronographs...see the following passage:

All Manually-Wound Chronographs: Ask me who was making the coolest looking chronographs in the 1970s and I would answer Tudor, without a second's hesitation (behind them would be Heuer and Rolex). The manually wound Tudor chronographs of the 1970s were just plain awesome looking - with liberal use of bright colors that you simply would never see on a Rolex (save the 1655 "Orange Hand"). All used Valjoux 7734 movements with two registers and date window at 6pm. You must remember that back then Rolex was using modified Val 72's in its Daytona so while the 72 was indeed a step-up from the 7734, the difference in movements between Rolex and Tudor may have been less in chronographs than anywhere else. The most desirable Tudor Chrono is the reference 7031 "home plate" which was the inspiration for the incredible 2010 release - the Heritage Chronograph. I once owned a Tudor Reference 7159 "Monte Carlo," and it is the only watch i regret selling.

Read the full article here - >
A Week On The Wrist: The Tudor Pelagos

So, I agree with your opinion in part; however, there are only a few vintage Tudors and MANY vintage Rolex's I would pine for... :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
If so... Perhaps it's time for a separate Tudor sub forum? ;-)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Agreed:

And agreed again:

And once more for good measure:

Okay, now I'm done:

Kinda fond of their new stuff, too:

As for Rolex, they're okay, I 'spose. ;-)

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Wow, you have an amazing collection.

Adding my snowflake to the mix.

Heh. Actually, the only one I currently own is the no-date Blue Snowflake. I used to own the Blue Snowflake Date and the others belong to friends of mine.

Great Snowflake you've got there!

Regards,
Adam

Reactions: vintageguy

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I like Tudors, but no way in hell are they cooler. There is nothing cooler than a mid 60's submariner or GMT. Or how about an early explorer. But a vintage tudor is cooler than a picture of a Rolex:-d

1 - 20 of 49 Posts