WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a non-working Rolex Tudor Prince and am wondering what the current value is as it sits (has no sentimental value to me). It has an aftermarket Speidel band on it. On the watch face there's an emblem that says optimist international and on the back it is engraved and says club president 1956-57, and it shows 14 karat gold. I'm unsure how to open it to see the movement it has. On one side of the watch case there is some indentions where it looks like someone in the past has opened it. But that doesn't look like the right way to do it to me. I'm wondering if this watch is worth getting fixed, and how much that would be? Or should I sell it for the value of the gold? Please see the attached pictures and any help from the WUS community is greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708696.473503.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708726.202241.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708745.965331.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708770.024056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708789.137965.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1344708803.301428.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm wondering if this watch is worth getting fixed, and how much that would be? Or should I sell it for the value of the gold? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I wouldn't swear to the authenticity of the dial on this one...there were very few Tudors that also contained the Rolex brand on them. In addition, you've got the customized service club logo on it which probably doesn't add to its value, even if the rest of it is authentic.

I'd shop it around to some watch dealers to get a general idea of what someone else might pay...and then I'd find out if that case is solid rather than plated gold. If it's solid, it might just be worth your while to scrap it for the gold value and sell the movement, dial and hands on a place like ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Wes - I have the identical watch, except mine is engraved with "Service Club President 1954 - 55" on the back, and mine appears to be in better condition. I know this watch to be legitimate because it was my gandfather's, although I guess it could've been counterfeited in the 50's for Optimist International, but this I doubt. I think it is a legitimate Rolex, but I have no idea as to value. My guess is that Optimist International but a bunch of them and handed them out to the presidents. Did you ever get an idea as to the watch's value or did you sell it for gold scrap? Thanks.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Rolex Tudor Prince Optimist Club Award

I have run a search for the words Rolex Tudor Optimist and I've found not one but two identical watches, on two different internet auction sites.

While one watch might be an aberration, three would indicate a limited edition, probably in conjunction with the Optimist International organization on a series of award watches. One watch has a clear inscription, mine has a faint inscription, and the third has none at all, although it could have been worn off through the years.

The movement is a 17 jewel full rotor automatic, signed Montres Tudor SA Geneva and the case, again, is 14K gold . . .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts