WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Without knowing the seller, the look of the movement, the history, or the price, it's hard to say. If it's authentic and decently priced, I prefer it to the bloated modern Ranger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Seller is reputable. I am interested in evaluations of dial, hands, red date wheel, market value for authentic piece, etc.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
More pictures of the inside and out in high resolution are required to consider your question.

However, I would suggest that if you came here under the impression that we would be able to help you, based upon the one image that you have provided, then you do not know enough, at this stage, to be considering purchasing a vintage Tudor Ranger.

The Ranger is often copied / messed with and I wouldn’t touch one until I had spent a great deal of time reading up on the different variations, as well as reviewing images of confirmed legitimate examples. It is a minefield out there and you need to be very careful that you don’t get blown up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am confident that movement is original and serviced. Please let me rephrase my question....based upon the supplied photo, please comment on dial, hands, lume, red date wheel and offer your thoughts on market value. Thanks in advance.

·
4,393 Posts
No one is going to do that. Very few could if they wanted too based on that 1 photo. Larger, hi-res pictures of the complete watch including macros of certain places such as; inside and outside case back, between both lugs, and good shots of the crown would be needed before anyone would be willing to say anything on the watch. Got it?

As for being confident the movement is original and serviced, so what? Almost all of the value on a real Ranger is based on everything else that is not the movement, or it’s service history.

That said, from the one picture I can say I don’t like the look of any the hands, red date wheels are always a red flag, and why is the crown in that position?

If you are looking to buy the watch based on that one crumbly photo, don’t. If you are expecting people to help you to any large degree based on what you have provided, don’t be surprised if they don’t.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to those that have responded. I appreciate the guidance. Here are a couple more...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
It seems you're looking for reasons to pull the trigger and buy the watch, despite the sage and reasoned advice offered here about the potential deficiencies not visible in the provided pictures.

If what you want is a Tudor Prince Date in reasonably nice condition and price is right then by all means buy this watch.

But, if you're being charged a premium for what is being presented as an authentic vintage Ranger, then you're taking a chance.

Define your objective and decide. You're an adult. It's your money. The watch looks nice, at least to me. But an authentic vintage Tudor Ranger with an elevated price? Maybe not.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
What is the serial number? Does it correspond with the rose to shield switchover?

How much are they asking? That is usually the big giveaway

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan to purchase it. I am convinced it is an authentic, rare example. Price was commensurate, lol! Thanks to all who responded and especially to my source who brought it to my attention.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I wonder what kind of feedback you are expecting when you are clearly holding back information..

If you are afraid somebody is gonna buy it because you provide all the info here then its probably too good of a deal.. which makes you think right..

·
Registered
919 Posts
The hands aren't cut very sharp and the lume in the is not at all deteriorated as the dial lume.

The dial looks original but has lots of spots/marks on it. Unless thats dust under the crystal which wouldn't bode well of it’s movement service. Dial lume is deteriorating and gone in some parts

Also only spend 5 min googling but the only red date (or roulette) wheel examples I see were rose dial not Shield.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I plan to purchase it. I am convinced it is an authentic, rare example. Price was commensurate, lol! Thanks to all who responded and especially to my source who brought it to my attention.
It should be north of $5 grand for a true example. Especially with good pics like these, the seller knows what they have. If you are paying well under that then it is suspect.

Also, the serial number range is a dead giveaway because these were only made in certain ranges.

It seems like your mind was made up before you even made the post. Good luck, its your money but I have concerns with the watch and I have been dealing with Tudors for a very long time. I would need a whole lot more information before proceeding.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. The seller is trusted and well known. The watch is confirmed 100% original and authentic and currently in my collection! A RARE FIND!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This looks like a tritium dial, right?
When looking at a vintage watch, I usually watch the polishing degree of the case, the tritium dial, the same color of the hands, and the movement.
If the price is similar to the level you think, you can buy it if you want.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts