WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just won this one of the bay. Probably over-paid a bit, 'cause of the shipping, but I love the size and style. It's something like 40x41mm with a 20mm strap. I'm a big guy (6'5'', 320) and love the vintage vibe, but they alway seem to small!!!

Anyway, I don't really worry about today's value, but I was wondering about it's original value at the time? How does Vulcain fit in the 60s-70s market? How do they fit within the MSR Holding?

Thanks!

Here's a pic from the listing, just for fun.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,886 Posts
That is quite nice looking and in decent condition. A typical late sixties or early seventies watch. As for how they fit within M.S.R., the answer is that they don't! The M.S.R. were disbanded somewhere along the line. When Vulcain were still in it, they were probably better off than Phenix and Buser - they did, after all, have the rights to the famous "Cricket" movement and resonance patent. However, the fact that they were fairly well wiped out by Revue showed that they can't have been at the very top. Nowadays, they are an independent company again.

Hartmut Richter

·
17,886 Posts
Every US president starting with Truman was given a Vulcain Cricket as a gift from Vulcain. So I imagine that it is anything but a legend that JFK had a Cricket. Whether he wore it regularly or not is another matter.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is quite nice looking and in decent condition. A typical late sixties or early seventies watch. As for how they fit within M.S.R., the answer is that they don't! The M.S.R. were disbanded somewhere along the line. When Vulcain were still in it, they were probably better off than Phenix and Buser - they did, after all, have the rights to the famous "Cricket" movement and resonance patent. However, the fact that they were fairly well wiped out by Revue showed that they can't have been at the very top. Nowadays, they are an independent company again.

Hartmut Richter
I knew that today they are independant, and nicer then the new revue.

But at the time of this particular one, they were in the group, right? 'Cause this one has the crown and movement mark with the 3 circles!

It's later that they become 'Revue Vulcain'? Or it's a different line?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I´ve heard that every US president since Truman has been given a Vulcain "Cricket", however JFK wore an Omega.... it was sold in auction a couple of years ago.

Congrats on the watch!
Vulcain rules! : )

·
17,886 Posts
Yes, at that time Vulcain was definitely in the M.S.R. - they fused in 1961. According to the German Wikipedia, Revue Thommen actually outsourced the watch production at that time to Vulcain & Studio. Nowadays, the watches are made by Grovana in Tenniken.

It is also stated that three US presidents actually wore Crickets: Truman, Eisenhower & Johnson

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whoa! Received it on Friday, really nice piece! Look almost NOS, but it was probably re-polish and put on a new crystal. The sides are brushed and the front polish, the is dark-grey (or light black...), look like a chalkboard. Really cool vintage-modern dress look.

Strap is nice to, for a replacement on a vintage, but I 'll probably change it for a dressier.

Crown is a pain! Semi-hided crown on a manual, not good idea! For now, winding is a little stiff, but she's going the the watchmaker tonight for a clean up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts