WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this today....this is my first post here...wonder what brand is...age...anything at all about this watch...

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Very interesting. The style suggests late 20's or early 30's; its a vaguely curvex-style watch. The movement is very nice. The swiss cross normally denotes a patent number, and there IS a swiss patent 2001 that I found, but I'm not convinced its actually relevent to the watch. A german reader might be able to tell you more:
Espacenet - Original document

Odd thing is that the patent was registered in 1890. That's really pushing the time-frame, since I think patents are only valid for 25 years. But the german nature of the patent does match up with the lack of any obvious "swiss made" markings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your answer...i don't speak german :)...it's intresting that the watch has the swiss cross stamped on his mecanism...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I translate a part of the text in the link posted bu you with google translate...but seems that that patent has nothing to do with the watch....i'm still searching....

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
I'm with Rob on the dating as perhaps early 1930's as it has a round movement placed into the (then) newly fashionable rectangular case. It is likely a ladies watch movement, so your search should be restricted to the smaller calibres. From the wear to the case (which could be just reflection of your fingers) I'd be suspicious that the dial has been repainted at some point which might explain the lack of name. Given that even if you find the manufacturer of the calibre you may never know who assembled the watch as a whole. Ladies watches are not especially collected so I have doubts you'll find a picture of the calibre online easily - chances are you need someone with a movement parts catalogue and for that you will probably need the dial removed for a photo of the setting parts (and it may well be stamped under there by the manufacturer).

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,028 Posts
I would say that it is definitely not a ladies' watch. In those days, gent's watches were rather smaller than today and ladies' watches didn't have a seconds hand.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I agree with Hartmut-this is not ladies watch,tough I disagree with part that ladies watches didnt have a small second.Here are couple that I found hastily in one of my box:

Most of ladies watches of that time didnt have small second,but this is not a general rule.

Movement of the O.P.'s watch looks like something between Buren cal.875 GRN and Dreyfus cal.E(9.5''').

1 - 12 of 12 Posts