WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right, I'll give them to two of you lucky forum members!

First I would encourage anyone who might want to do a similar thread to contact a moderator prior to doing so.

My recent good fortune in watch deals has me wanting to spread the love a little.

I have two watches, a vintage manual wind Bulova in a stainless case, and a Tissot Seastar automatic that will be the prizes. They both run and are functional, but both are due for service.

To be eligible:
1. You must have at least 50 posts as of today.

2. Post a photo of the most interesting vintage watch you currently own.

3. That's it. I'll use a random number generator to determine the winners by their post number in the thread.

The first random number pulled can pick which watch they would like. The second will get the other.

If you want to post your most interesting watch, but aren't interested in the giveaway please note in your post "not an entry".

I'll take entries on this thread until 9pm Sunday central standard time USA.

I don't mind mailing international, but can't take responsibility for the watches after mailing.

They aren't perfect, and they aren't Pateks, but I feel there are people here who will appreciate them for what they are.

Here's a couple pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hello guy0783,
I started collecting recently but I will enter. It's very kind of you. Here's a Wostok Civilian with Dirskie Movement. It's not as interesting as it may seem but the patina on the dial is lovely.

There's a hole in the world like whole black pit.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Well Hoga isn't a brand name many people of heard of, but I love my diver!
I'VE heard of Hoga! I used to own one.

One of the most funky and, might I say. interesting watches I've ever worn...
These are nice ones! Good to see more HOGAs coming along. For quite a while I thought I was alone with the one that started it all for me ...

@ guy0783: that's one BEAUTIFUL idea for a thread! I really love the idea and I love the intention behind it! And I love how it has brought out some long lost friends already (vid, the HOGAs :))

I'm torn between quite some watches which certainly pass the 'interesting' part of the entry prerequisites.

These two made the short list:

1. The Colorado Chronograph with a Landeron 47 calibre:

Why is it interesting?

For one, it's beautiful.

Second, its calibre ...

... the Landeron '47' was the first cam-switched chronograph calibre to enter mass production. Its introduction made the affordable chronograph for the man in the street a reality and pretty much shaped watch fashion for more than a decade after the Second World War. To this day, the best selling chronograph calibre is cam-switched: the ETA/Valjoux 7750 is, in a way, the great-grandchild of this modest, small watch.

2. The Pierce Chronograph with its in-house '130' calibre

This is certainly an interesting watch: since 1923 the company produced in-house calibres after it had been stricken from the Ebauche SA's customer list and it went to great lengths to avoid possible patent infringement lawsuits. For the future of the Chronograph this was good news as the company came up with the revolutionary concept of a vertical chronograph clutch, allowing to start timing without influencing the watch's precision. Most modern chronographs use this principle, most prominently all Seiko chronographs since 1969.

Decide yourself which one you'd accept as an entry ;-)

Best regards
Andreas

·
Registered
621 Posts
These are nice ones! Good to see more HOGAs coming along. For quite a while I thought I was alone with the one that started it all for me ...

Cor that's a head turner! :-! We should start a rare brands club :-d

Hoga seem to be quite an interesting brand in that they did a lot of collaboration work with other brands but their own watches are rather rare.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Thanks for this very generous giveaway! I'm in, for the Bulova if I win the first choice.

My most interesting vintage watch (and really my only remotely vintage watch) is this Sekonda alarm watch, made by Poljot using the 2612.1 alarm movement:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

The watch was barely working when I received it, losing ~20 minutes per day. It had a bent hairspring, loose fibres in the movement, and was badly in need of a service: http://www.stefanv.com/watches/restoring-a-russian-alarm-watch.html

Needless to say, if I win, the watch will get serviced and go into service.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Watch Wrist Analog watch Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Strap

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice giveaway. Not an entry but just to share a couple of my inherited watches. My late grandfather's Omega and my uncle's Zelico. By the way, does anyone have info about this Zelico brand? I have not been able to find anything other than they were swiss made and sold in Mexico.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Reactions: bobbee and busmatt

·
Registered
355 Posts
Well this is certainly a generous idea!

My entry, a Russian military Borel & fils along with its curious protective case. It's hard to choose the one most interesting watch from my collection, but I think this is a really strong competitor for the title.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts