WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my love of vintage watches, I found some of the papers are almost torn due to repeated folding. What do you do to maintain those papers? Do you laminate them? Is laminating old papers is bad or will it ruin its value?

Currently, the best I can do is to buy ziploc plastic and together a pack of sillica gel I store it inside and remove air from inside.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Printed paper has two major enemies: moisture and sunlight. Stop folding the papers. Store them away from sunlight (UV light) and moisture, and you've done all you can at a basic passive level. After that, you need to consider what you want to do that's active and that will remove bacteria, microbes, and harmful (to paper and ink) compounds/elements are on the paper. That gets into conservation and I can't tell you what to do. I can tell you that laminating seems to me like a plausible way to do as much harm as good. For example, if there are compounds on the paper that will slowly break down the paper/ink, the laminating will just give them an "uninterrupted" environment in which to do so.

The above is probably not what you wanted to see, and likely less help than you'd hoped for. Unfortunately, it's the best I can offer.

All the best.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
For my love of vintage watches, I found some of the papers are almost torn due to repeated folding. What do you do to maintain those papers? Do you laminate them? Is laminating old papers is bad or will it ruin its value?

Currently, the best I can do is to buy ziploc plastic and together a pack of sillica gel I store it inside and remove air from inside.
Depending on the materials used to cement the laminate sheets together it may speed the deterioration. As others mention no more folding and unfolding. Lay t them flat in good quality archival page protectors. Make high resolution photographs with no flash.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
....Make high resolution photographs with no flash.
....lest you find yourself joining the ranks of the worlds great magicians as your papers disappear "in a flash." LOL

All the best.

Reactions: John MS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts