WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been looking at a vintage piece for sometime now and it is in good overall condition. However, the seller claims that the watch has been relumed and that I will have to clean the crystal. I know restoration can decrease the value of a watch, is this a deal breaker or is this average maintenance for vintage pieces. The watch is more for a personal use, but there is always the potential of resale in collecting; so I just want to know what other WIS think.

-Franco

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Until we know what the piece is, its condition, and its value, there's not much anyone can say. For some vintage pieces, it would be very stupid to do any restoration work at all; for others, it's not a big deal. That said, collectors of vintage pieces definitely do prefer that nothing be restored.

However, if you pay a fair price that already includes the fact that the watch has been partly restored, then you're not going to lose money because of that if you sell the watch.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the effect on the value of the watch unless you're looking a expensive/valuable watch. I'm a vintage kind of guy myself and I'm not really into the 'unrestored' vintage watches that look like they were just pulled out of a dumpster. Authentic and unrestored only goes so far for a lot of us. If you have re-lumed hands and a polished crystal on a $300 vintage watch that's going to be a daily wearer, you probably don't have an issue. If you have re-lumed hands and a polished crystal on a $3,000 vintage watch, well... that's different. Bottom line? To restore or not to restore is usually more a matter of preference rather than valuation until you get into the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Like the other posters said, it comes down to the details of the watch and the price asked.
The most important thing is that you're happy with the watch and the price paid while you have it.

If it's not a deal-breaker for you, it probably won't be a deal-breaker in the event that you sell it in the future.
Since you're a buyer, there will be other buyers.

That said, if you don't want to over-pay/under-sell, you really have to spend the time to understand the market for that particular watch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts