WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-
I hope I am putting this in the right area because I have never seen any thing on this form concerning a Japanese mechanical movement. I just won a Quintel manual wind watch on the bay. The seller rated the age of the watch from 1940-1969. I really can not find out any thing about this brand but what drew my attention to the watch was the fact that it had wire lugs. Now, I associate wire lugs being vintage. When did they stop maufacturing watches with wire lugs? Has anyone ever heard of Quintel? I doubt the watch is jeweled but I can't wait to get it in to open the back and see. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
:think:
Thanks,
Steve B.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I haven't heard of Quintel

Some watches are still made with wire lugs

Japan Mvt usually means a quartz movement which means it's 1970s or newer

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
I haven't heard of Quintel

Some watches are still made with wire lugs

Japan Mvt usually means a quartz movement which means it's 1970s or newer
Yes, 'Japan Mvt' usually means a Chinese watch with a low end quartz movement made in Japan. These low end movements are so cheap it does not even make sense for the Chinese to try and make them cheaper. These watches can come with almost any name on the dial.

You will not know for sure until you open it up and see what is inside.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, 'Japan Mvt' usually means a Chinese watch with a low end quartz movement made in Japan. These low end movements are so cheap it does not even make sense for the Chinese to try and make them cheaper. These watches can come with almost any name on the dial.

You will not know for sure until you open it up and see what is inside.
Thanks for the information but the watch is a manual wind watch not a quartz. We will see when it arrives.

-Steve B.

·
Registered
18,196 Posts
Thanks for the information but the watch is a manual wind watch not a quartz. We will see when it arrives.

-Steve B.
Yes, we'll see when it arrives.

If it is a manual, it is 'somewhat' rare. Very few Japanese manual 'Mvmt's have been encased by the Chinese... most are Chinese movements.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi Steve,

I bet the moon phase is simply printed on the dial, and the wire lugs only look
like wire lugs. Be happy when the hands and their shadows aren't printed as
well.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,823 Posts
Hi-
I hope I am putting this in the right area because I have never seen any thing on this form concerning a Japanese mechanical movement. I just won a Quintel manual wind watch on the bay. The seller rated the age of the watch from 1940-1969. I really can not find out any thing about this brand but what drew my attention to the watch was the fact that it had wire lugs. Now, I associate wire lugs being vintage. When did they stop maufacturing watches with wire lugs? Has anyone ever heard of Quintel? I doubt the watch is jeweled but I can't wait to get it in to open the back and see. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve B.
It looks like a 1980s style. Japan Movt would suggest a Hong Kong watch with a Japanese movement. Hand-winding you say? Then it's likely to be a Premier Precision plastic-lever movement. Other possibilities (if it's a bit older than I thought) would be Hamazawa, or Morioka Tokei. I'd be fascinated to see a photo of the movement and the inscriptions on it as I've been trying to find out about these kinds of watches and there's not much info out there.

·
Moderator Public Forum
24,132 Posts
Hi-
Thanks,
Steve B.
The style looks like 1980's to me as well. If it is indeed a mechanical movement and if the moon phase actually functions then I would say you have an interesting watch. The movement could be from Seiko, Citizen or Orient. The dial indicates that it is "Antimagnetic" which could mean many things. First off it could actually be a mechanical watch movement. Secondly, it could be a way for the watch maker to make a modern watch look antique or retro. Much as "Railroad Approved" is used on the dial of some modern watches. Thirdly, it could indicate that the watch is a marriage of parts.

Whether the watch case was made in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, India or Japan is not really relevant at this point. It looks interesting, please post a picture of the movement and more details once you get the watch.

Update: There are several Quintel watches that appear in a Google search. From the search results I have seen, Quintel appears to be one of many Hong Kong based watch assemblers who produced watches from the 1970's forward.

·
19,823 Posts
Update: There are several Quintel watches that appear in a Google search. From the search results I have seen, Quintel appears to be one of many Hong Kong based watch assemblers who produced watches from the 1970's forward.
Thanks, John. Google is our friend |> Earliest reference I found was a watch with LED display i.e. mid-1970s. Latest reference, a 'Batman' watch from 1991. Several specific references to Hong Kong.

I'll make a guess at a Premier Precision no jewel, plastic lever movement. probably the smaller cal 1603.

Shall we take bets? ;-)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 2 Japanese mechanical watches…one has just a plain black face and has exactly the PRECISION movement mentioned previously ,while the other is a gold watch…….on the dial from the top,GENEVA Electra,middle is Quartzomatic 21 ,Electronically Timed,and the bottom is Swiss Ebauches……..the movement is APHEL CO LTD……….same as above-Japanese Parts,assembled in Hong Kong

·
19,823 Posts
I have 2 Japanese mechanical watches…one has just a plain black face and has exactly the PRECISION movement mentioned previously ,while the other is a gold watch…….on the dial from the top,GENEVA Electra,middle is Quartzomatic 21 ,Electronically Timed,and the bottom is Swiss Ebauches……..the movement is APHEL CO LTD……….same as above-Japanese Parts,assembled in Hong Kong
:think: That's very interesting. The second one as you described it is a typical Hong Kong 1970s/early 1980s watch made with a cheap Swiss movement, yet you say it is signed Japanese Parts :-s Do you mean it is the same movement as the first, but with a different branding? If so then it might be either a replacement movement, or more likely they used up old dials after they changed to a new movement source. I have a pocket watch with possibly the same story behind it.

Do you have any photos for us?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi-I am not where the watches are at this time;sorry for the confusion....yes,both movements indicate(from memory)assembled hong kong,with japenese parts.....both movements resemble the one you submitted,however,the second one,alphe?? co ltd,appears to exactly match your precision,while the precision movement I submitted for the first watch,is close,but the cover differs......I guess the second watch was 'fudging'as to the movement inside....cheers

·
19,823 Posts
Hi-I am not where the watches are at this time;sorry for the confusion....yes,both movements indicate(from memory)assembled hong kong,with japenese parts.....both movements resemble the one you submitted,however,the second one,alphe?? co ltd,appears to exactly match your precision,while the precision movement I submitted for the first watch,is close,but the cover differs......I guess the second watch was 'fudging'as to the movement inside....cheers
Yes, that would not be surprising. It's probably about the same age as my pocket watch which I bought early in 1985. It was made by Swiss Metal Ware, Hong Kong for Michel Rene (which I understand is a men's clothes shop). The dial is signed '17 jewels' and 'Swiss Movt', suggesting something like a Semag ES95, however this watch was made around the time that the supply of low-grade Swiss mechanical movements dried up in Hong Kong. Like many HK watches of this period, mine has a Soviet movement; a Poljot 2609.2N.

As I have been attempting to track down details about Premier Precision movements (on account of a Q&Q Automatic that I got a few months ago), I have come to the tentative conclusion that part of their reason for offering an ultra-cheap mechanical movement at the height of the LCD digital craze (Premier Precision's core business was digitals) was to pick up the business of a small remnant of mechanical watch makers as the Swiss movements became unavailable. The better watchmakers went Russian, the cheaper ones went Japanese Parts. Then the Chinese swept in with 17 jewel, jewelled lever movements and the rest is history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone tell me what my watch is worth its a quintel pocketwatch full silver casing japanees movt. With a american half dollar with gold eagle on face on outside has eagle with a shield and three stars above the eagle. Bellow the eagle two weat stems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts