WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys
Im looking to buy a vintage watch for my wedding and ive been forced to look outside of the omega brand since finding an original one at a reasonable price is becoming more impossible.

at my local watch shop, i found this Wittnauer. it looks nice to my inexperienced eye, but thats why im posting it here. assuming the movement and everything that you cant see about this watch checks out, how much should i pay for this and also is it a good brand from a watch connoisseurs point of view? or is it not a good watch/movement?

[URL]https://imgur.com/gallery/yDdQS[/URL][IMG]
[IMG]https://imgur.com/gallery/yDdQS

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Well from that picture (which is little information to go on - really need full range of pics including movement) looks like a pretty original all honest Wittnauer from the 60's. Is is a linen dial? probably polished in the past as the lugs are a little uneven (or that is the angle of the photo??) although still retains original form. We don't do valuations so eBay competed listing is a good place to start. Guessing from Wittnauer that it is 34-35mm?? It's a nice looking watch but I have a soft spot for wittnauer... Do your homework and I can't imagine paying too much (yep relative!!!) for a watch like this or similar... Don't get sucked into the vintage hype... They made squillions of watches similar in the 60's

Good luck with your search and impending nuptials...

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
From that one photo, I don't see any obvious concerns, but it's impossible to guess at a value without much more information (size, material, movement, etc.). What is your budget?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the price its set at is 350 at my local shop. im just not sure if this brand is even worth that or if its a fantastic deal lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
Is it worth it?, with that one picture, I would say no. Has it been recently serviced? Is there proof, paperwork or something that verifies it? can not help much with just that picture

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
avogev...Hello. I have always liked Wittnauer, and have worked on & owned several. Their movements are almost always well-finished, and show a clear attention to detail, and an appreciation for traditional watchmaking.

Having said this, I will also say that $350 seems too high for this watch. Of course, the Shop needs to make a profit, but I would take some more time & look around. Really nice watches can and do show up in unexpected places, and an Independent shop can frequently work wonders with a not-too-good-looking piece that you may have found in, say, a second-hand store or small antique shop. I have discovered many watches that were less than $100, that were worth quite a bit more, once they were cleaned & lightly restored...

Good Hunting! Michael.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
im really liking that first movado.
can anyone elaborate on it? i know nothing of that brand other than their recent lineup which, from what i understand, is a joke in comparison.
Good quality watch from the 1960s, stainless case with over-polished back. No movement photos unfortunately. Crystal needs replacement. Dial and hands look original to me; crown probably a replacement. Seller takes returns. Price is high.

Movado from the 1950s and 1960s seem a bit undervalued to me, but I think of them as similar in quality to Eterna. At the time it was a very well respected brand that made excellent watches with in-house movements. Some of their chronographs and triple-date calendar watches are very desirable. At some point in the 1960s, there was a partnership between Movado and Zenith, but I don't know the details.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good quality watch from the 1960s, stainless case with over-polished back. No movement photos unfortunately. Crystal needs replacement. Dial and hands look original to me; crown probably a replacement. Seller takes returns. Price is high.

Movado from the 1950s and 1960s seem a bit undervalued to me, but I think of them as similar in quality to Eterna. At the time it was a very well respected brand that made excellent watches with in-house movements. Some of their chronographs and triple-date calendar watches are very desirable. At some point in the 1960s, there was a partnership between Movado and Zenith, but I don't know the details.
im gonna put in an offer for it. if he bites, that will be the conclusion of the search....if not, then i suppose the search continues and hopefully i find an omega:) if anyone else has any issues with this movado, please speak up.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/322957548682?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ended up taking this one at a better price than listed

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-longines-conquest-7624-1-vintage-automatic-36mm-qf114-4449154.html

thanks everyone for all the insightful info. hope i made the right choice.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
ended up taking this one at a better price than listed

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-longines-conquest-7624-1-vintage-automatic-36mm-qf114-4449154.html

thanks everyone for all the insightful info. hope i made the right choice.
Looks like you decided to go for a watch with a date window after all.

It's a good choice; I like the Conquest models very much. Very high quality and nice condition. I suspect that the bracelet is not original or correct, since it is a poor fit between the lugs. But you can always put the watch on a nice leather strap and sell the bracelet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats true, but only because the price was so comfortable. and i got it verified by a few guys here. only things that dont seem original are the bracelet and the caseback. but other than its legitimacy, i dont know the actual year still lol. if anyone could give more info about this one, id love to hear it.

Looks like you decided to go for a watch with a date window after all.

It's a good choice; I like the Conquest models very much. Very high quality and nice condition. I suspect that the bracelet is not original or correct, since it is a poor fit between the lugs. But you can always put the watch on a nice leather strap and sell the bracelet.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
thats true, but only because the price was so comfortable. and i got it verified by a few guys here. only things that dont seem original are the bracelet and the caseback. but other than its legitimacy, i dont know the actual year still lol. if anyone could give more info about this one, id love to hear it.
Not original case-back? I didn't look closely enough to notice that. That's unfortunate. The movement serial number puts it at about 1966.

Edit: OK, after a little research, I believe that this model should have the enameled fish medallion on the case-back, which is really the hallmark of this model. If this is correct, the replaced case-back significantly affects the desirability of the watch. It would be like buying an Eterna Kontiki without a raft on the back, or a Constellation without an observatory.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts