WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What? 12 hours into the day here and nobody east from here found it necessary to show something? Anything?

Okay, here we go, at the meteorological start of this year's spring (and yes, you folks west from me, I know that the Beast From The East still has you in its grips;-))

CHRONOMÈTRE URRA Chronograph m.w., early Hahn calibre from Landeron

Kind regards
Andreas

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Recent arrival, just the day before 40cms of snow (and rising) was visited on our area which really shouldn't be getting very much at all, a 35mm UMF from the 1960s and bought as a non-runner. In fact, its rudimentary UMF 23-32 sporadically runs well on the wrist, although not at all dial down, so probably a balance staff issue, at least. Good luck with that, then, Mr B.

The darker upper and lower segments of the dial have been textured to provide different shadings depending upon the angle of light and as I’m so easily attracted to such superficialities, I thought I’d give it a wearing today before consigning it to the black hole of my watchmaker’s bench, probably never to be seen again in my lifetime.

Regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts

Love it. Kinda like an AS 1171(?)
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: AS 1171

Regards.

@ balaton: exactly like, I think. Certainly close enough. Thanks for your movement-spotting prowess.

Gallet Clamshell case:
Apropos of not much. Only read if you have time to waste:-

A man walks into a Vet's office. The Vet stands up, invites the man to take a seat, and says, "Well Mr Schrodinger. About your cat - I have some good news and I have some bad news."

This clamshell case prompted me to think of another Erwin's long-suffering pets, his budgie; upright on the perch and simultaneously hanging beneath it. Spend more than the usual amount of time staring at the insides of watches and movements and you come to consider that up is down and down is up; that the balance cock is the top of the watch even though you know that the crystal is the top. The four screws in the clam shell case work in a sort of counter-intuitive way, pushing things in more tightly instead of stopping them falling out, thereby compounding my initial confusion.
I know that this rubbish doesn't withstand close (or even middle distance) examination, but it does illustrate something.....perhaps. I am, however, very happy to come across a novel (to me) bit of horological jiggery-pokery that adds another layer of wonder to an already very interesting watch. Check out the Harwood connection in the link above. I can't afford a Harwood because of my bidding finger problem but this I consider to be a fine substitute.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hi Steve,

No great prowess, I’m afraid. Just that I’ve got the same movement in an Eska, although mine is a 1172/3 (sweep seconds).

Regards.
Feel like a bit of a numpty now. Your post got me thinking about my other bumper and it turns out.....
SAM_8656.JPG

SAM_8658.JPG

... my Selza is an almost identical twin separated at birth. Now I'm stumped: is this one great watch or two? I shall probably settle on two as an answer so I don't have to sell one of them. The Selza bumper was my second watch, after my first - which started the whole crazy merry-go-round for me -
SAM_8659.JPG

A KM Selza, one of my top two watches, I think.

1 - 20 of 436 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.