WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone. I'd appreciate if you took a look at the Zenith specimen below. It seems to be original and in fine condition, compared to similar ones for sale on eBay. It's equipped with caliber 2552PC, which places it between 1969-1972, according to Dr. Ranfft. Gold plated case, non-original crown.

Caught my attention that dreadful green, plastic frame around the movement. I saw other specimens with this feature. Is it normal? Was it possibly messed out?

zen9_1.jpg zen9_2.jpg zen9_3.jpg zen9_4.jpg

Reactions: arogle1stus

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
Looks like quite a decent watch - congratulations! The "dreadful green plastic" is the movement holder ring. Without it, the movement would move around a little inside the case and could stop or have the rotor scratching on the case. I have seen such green rings before but never in a Zenith. Personally, unless you have the case replaced by something with a glass window, I wouldn't worry: it does the job and even if it's a replacement, it should not detract from the overall value of the watch.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
242 Posts
That green movement-spacer ring is so ghastly that it is awesome--don't change it!

·
Registered
109 Posts
such a pretty and clean looking zenith you got there sir.
Got similar one myself without the date, 2542 movement, but the dial is not as clean and preserved ad yours
Really love the dressy look

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, gentlemen, thank you for your appreciation. I'm glad I could provide you a moment of amusement with my somewhat scandalized reaction to the movement holder. In fact, I find it quite an off putting element in the overall picture of 2552 caliber, considering how handsome it is. It's something like inserting an electric synthesizer solo in the middle of a Schubert piano sonata: an outrageous irony confronting the gravitas of pure beauty...

As a matter of fact, I found another specimen for sale, equipped with the same caliber. This one has a solid gold case and a curious burgundy red dial. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, but they're all I could get:

zen2.jpg zen3.jpg zen4.jpg
zen1.jpg

It seems quite nice as well, but it's three times the price of the previous one, because of its golden case... So, I'm still figuring out what to do. The first one is nicely priced; my number two is a very curious piece, but rather expensive. Some more insights would be deeply appreciated, lads.

Reactions: marcel2812

·
Registered
109 Posts
personally, i like the look of the first one better....the green stuff is just a replacement holder. i believe u can have it replaced without spending much. but yea the burgundy one is kinda different

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,154 Posts
If you don't like the green bit and that's the only thing preventing you from buying it, I'm sure you could get a watchmaker to find a suitable (but still generic) replacement.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
776 Posts
personally, i like the look of the first one better....the green stuff is just a replacement holder. i believe u can have it replaced without spending much. but yea the burgundy one is kinda different

The green movement ring is the original Zenith part. It replaced metal ring at 70's, same time when Zenith started co-operation with Movado. Idea is that plastic ring gives movement protection against knocks and also is cheaper to produce. It does not make sense to franken the watch only because of you do not like the color of movement ring. Elvis, do not open the case and then you do not see the ring, problem solved.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The green movement ring is the original Zenith part. It replaced metal ring at 70's, same time when Zenith started co-operation with Movado. Idea is that plastic ring gives movement protection against knocks and also is cheaper to produce. It does not make sense to franken the watch only because of you do not like the color of movement ring. Elvis, do not open the case and then you do not see the ring, problem solved.
that is so educational...haha that's why i love this forum

anyway i agree...dont get too bother with the green stuff...you are not wearing the watch inside out anyway

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ok, Hessu. Thank you very much for the useful information. If I come to purchase the piece, I'll certainly let it be, with all its oddities.

And to all my comrades that admire Zenith, I pray you don't take too hard my thing with the so called "green plastic ring affair"! When I mentioned it, my intention was more in the sense of making a picturesque and humorous remark about something that seemed quite odd to me, not to abase in any way such a fine piece of horology. Was it already in my hands, I wouldn't cease to admire the whole of it, including its inside face.

It's just me, you know: I'm kind of an obssessive guy when it comes to things like organization, balance, symmetry and harmony. When someone puts anything like a bit of disorder in my world, I get in the verge of freakin' out, sometimes. And it used to be worse!! Some years of therapy, a down to earth wife and two little kids (a boy and a girl) have made me come to terms, to some extent, with the natural entropy of the world...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, Adriana (my wife), Débora and Marco Aurélio say hi!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts