WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired Zodiac Sea Wolf with somewhat strange dial / hands combination.
Before I commit to service it would be nice to know how rare this version is.
I couldn't find much on the web. One site listed it as a "transitional model" whatever that means.
If anyone could help dating and providing more info regarding this model it would be greatly appreciated.

20181015_012807.jpg 20181015_012813.jpg 20181015_012852.jpg 20181015_012920.jpg

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Mid 70s. The last Sea Wolfs using the AS 1687 based 72b movement. The transition is away from the 72b movement and traditional Sea Wolf style to ETA movements and a Rolex/TAG aping style. This particular model was made in few different dial colors and bezel combinations. As rare as the earlier Vietnam era Sea Wolfs.

·
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And how rare Vietnam era Sea Wolfs are? On a scale from 1 to 10? I'm not familiar with Zodiacs at all. Is it worth servicing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is a beautiful piece and in an excellent condition! The rarity of Sea Wolves is mostly relevant to their condition not to their frequency of appearance for sale. Finding one in such a condition can be rather difficult. I would certainly service it and wear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
And how rare Vietnam era Sea Wolfs are? On a scale from 1 to 10? I'm not familiar with Zodiacs at all. Is it worth servicing?
I think it is worth servicing, but I collect Sea Wolfs. If it isn't worth servicing to you, it is certainly worth selling.

I wouldn't call Viet Nam era Sea Wolfs rare, but then again, I'd say 99% of what I see described as rare isn't what I would consider rare.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Mid 70s. The last Sea Wolfs using the AS 1687 based 72b movement. The transition is away from the 72b movement and traditional Sea Wolf style to ETA movements and a Rolex/TAG aping style. This particular model was made in few different dial colors and bezel combinations. As rare as the earlier Vietnam era Sea Wolfs.
^This!

Case 966. Issued in two versions - date and day/date.
With black, blue and white dials.
Various bezel color known. Definitely it is a keeper.
And one correction to above statement. This one is not the last one with 72b movement. Last one was 906 case. See below:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts