WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

just saw a Vintage Searambler on the bay and it may not be all it claims to be....

Watch is a Franken with an interesting dial.

Bezel and hands are from the last version of the 300T to be made. They are from the Aubry period. Case back is from the first generation SUB with Doxa ship in defined medal insert type.

Not quite sure on movement date. Looks to be second generation, pre synchron.

Bracelet is from modern SUB, doesn't look quitre right around the endpieces. looks like it is a 750T bracelet and not a 600T and endlinks have been filed to fit. The 600T bracelet actually fits better and in my opinion looks better.

Dial is a Synchron generation and unusual in that it says Searambler but is Sharkhunter black.

I'm not casting any doubts on the watch, and it actually looks good, but I want to let people know that it is a SUB made from parts which span several generations.

Pete

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Pete,
i saw that one on FleaBay last night and whileI didn't look at it as closely as you did, there was something that just wasn't right about that watch. I did notice the Dial markings weren't correct. I thought all the Syncron watches had the Syncron symbol on the dial?

This could have been done years ago, but then again who knows. Possibly some folks are thinking that they can produce "Rare" Doxas from parts.Making up "one off" versions and passing them off as very unusual and rare Doxas.
Arthur

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well at least the three of us agree. I actually took the time to write him and tell him all this…and then I see my name up there thanking me.

I told him the watch was a composite of every DOXA, seen. He informed me that this was the way he purchased it at a trade show.

I told him it was a new bracelet, with cut/filed down end links from a 600T. He states he has the original bracelet. However, the clasp has no markings on it.

I also informed him that this watches asking price was twice that of what a “real” one was worth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
John.

I have just had a look at this item and noticed the sellers thanks to you in large orange letters. I think you need to try and get that removed as the seller has "conveniently" omitted your comments and is allowing potential buyers to think the watch has an official DOXA seal of approval. I'm sure ebay will be sympathetic.

best regards
bruce

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I agree with Bruce's recommendation, John. I would recommend also that you get your (and by extension Doxa's) implied seal of approval removed from the listing, as it creates a false impression that you in some way endorse this "franken Doxa". Considering its mixed and questionable lineage I am not sure that's a good idea. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info, Doc Pete. I was contemplating having a go at it actually, although it just did not seem "quite right" and I was going to e-mail you about it, anyway.

Regards,

James

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is the third time I have asked...hopefully three times is a charm!

·
Registered
87 Posts
guys, saw it too. one must be real real careful on e bay for everything. like they say if its too good to be true it usually is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts