WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I bought a group of watch cases last week and they arrived to me yesterday afternoon.

Most of the lot was junk but there were two keepers in the lot, one of them is very special!

This is a 10k yellow gold filled, semi-hermetic trench watch case with a coin edge bezel, offset crown and a deep well bezel made by the Philadelphia Watch Case Company.

It still has the very robust gold filled original factory over-sized crown as well.

An incredibly RARE combination to come by, so rare that I did not even have one in my Elgin book! (It will be in the Waltham book).

But, it gets even better....................this is a VIRGIN case ! ! ! !

NO movement has EVER been installed into this case, not a single movement screw indentation mark is on the ring.

Now this is where is gets completely nuts!

This case still has the ORIGINAL FACTORY TAG ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I've seen cases before that had tags on them but this factory tag has the case serial number stamped into it, unbelievable.

Philadelphia used purple string on their factory tags so that is original too.

This case is from 1918 and it had two crown styles available, those being a flat crown and the over-sized crown you see on this model.

The Keystone Watch Case Company owned several other case companies like Philadelphia and Bates & Bacon (B&B).

So, it is possible to see the exact same case but with a different company name stamped into the case back.

The case is in near MINT condition, the semi-hermetic case threading is perfect, NOBODY tried to open this case the wrong way over the past 97 years, it's smooth as silk.

Oh yeah, and this is the original factory glass crystal too boot!

I simply cannot believe that this incredibly rare and highly sought after case was never used by a jobber or collector in the past 97 years, how is this even possible ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

ENJOY!

DSC00388.JPG

DSC00391.JPG

DSC00396.JPG

DSC00400.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00405.JPG

211.jpg

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Wow, that's incredible. Would love to start with a case like that and make something special.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
GREAT find Stan
Absolutely amazing.
I am sure you will find a good 'fit' for it.
Thanks for sharing
adam

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
What a great find, keep us posted on the progress.

Matt

Reactions: Literustyfan

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been working on this movement for the past day and a half straight..................................

I went with a 1917 Elgin, size 3/0s, 7 jewels, grade 418, installed a brand new mainspring.

Enamel BOLD Roman numeral RED XII dial with a "USA" stamp, correct hands for this dial.

Leather Kitchener Strap as shown in the advert for this case.

It takes a lot to impress me these days................. but I am in utter awe of this watch's beauty, rarity and design!

I'm still in disbelief that this case is a virgin and was never used by a jobber or collector in the past 97 years, simply unbelievable that it still has the original factory tag!

This combination of gold fill, coin edge bezel, semi-hermetic, offset crown, deep well bezel and original over-sized factory crown is seriously as good as it gets!

This is without a doubt a once in a lifetime find!

DSC00504.JPG

DSC00450.JPG

DSC00477.JPG

DSC00471.JPG

DSC00417.JPG

DSC00421.JPG

DSC00426.JPG

DSC00436.JPG

DSC00438.JPG

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Great, Great finish
I truly believe an offset crown requires the red 12, and is actually one of the reasons 'red 12' started.

Good job Stan

Adam

Reactions: 28A and busmatt

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
On that we fully agree!!!

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I concur with the opinion, AWESOME Stan.

Matt

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Dayum.

That turned out really good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts