WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 640 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I am not the only one who is awaiting some parcels from, mostly, former Soviet republics. Given it takes weeks in some cases for the parcel to arrive I assume it is quite safe (virus would be dead w/o the host). At least this is what I think. But what about the officials? Many countries had instituted travel bans. Does it include postal shipments as well?

Stay safe!!!!

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
I think it's only people not goods as far as travel ban goes.
Around here, businesses and schools are closing and events are being cancelled. I don't know if the postal system or customs will be affected in any way or not.
Based on one Vostok I ordered, I haven't seen any updates since it said "processed through facility" in NY on the 9th. It normally only takes a couple days.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Package for Sadko forum project from China was returned... cause people handle the packages. So I am not sure. Lets see. When mine arrive and clear customs I will report. For now mine is in limbo between countries

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Advice from the WHO is that the virus can live on a surface for a maximum of 3 days, so if the transit time of the package is over 3 days the internal contents should be fine to handle.

However this goes for the outer surface of the package as well, so either wipe it over with antibacterial wipes or wait 3 days before handling the package.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Well, as from last Thursday (12-03) in Denmark nearly the whole governmental system went down, this also included all postal services. No point in looking in the mail-box for at least another 14 days. Perhaps I just start re-servicing all my watches :-d

** EDIT **; just in the news; today at 12:00 hrs European time Denmark will close its borders. No idea what that all entails ....

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Now I am really getting concerned because most all my food comes in packages that are shipped........ I wouldn't fear a watch in the mail just wear gloves and don't touch your face.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ordered some small watch tools from China ebay the date keeps being moved forward 4 weeks at a time I don’t believe many viruses could survive that long wont be ordering any more stuff not because of viruses though

·
Registered
531 Posts
Got a watch coming from Ukraine, so far, it's progressing as per normal (left for the UK this morning 14/3)
Theatre that I work in is still holding shows, depending on the artists though (had one cancel the night before last, but last night went ahead)
Keep sensable and virus free.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I had to send few watches to Italy and was informed by the Post office, that there MAY be delay with delivery.
Even today I had to send the last packet not-registered and not-priority, as the Italian postmen refuse to contact the recipients to get a sign from them (or recipients refuse to contact postmen, I didn't get exactly).

It was only for Italy, the packets for USA departed normally.
I have no instruction about Denmark or somewhere else.

Regards, Miro.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had to send few watches to Italy and was informed by the Post office, that there MAY be delay with delivery.
Even today I had to send the last packet not-registered and not-priority, as the Italian postmen refuse to contact the recipients to get a sign from them (or recipients refuse to contact postmen, I didn't get exactly).

It was only for Italy, the packets for USA departed normally.
I have no instruction about Denmark or somewhere else.

Regards, Miro.
Well, I can assure you; nothing moves here anymore ...... last night people boarding airplanes destined for Denmark were told; "you may get into Denmark, but not get out" and were given the option to leave the plane ...... many did.
An Eagles "Hotel California" kind of thing :)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I believe that the virus can live for a few days outside of a "host" and longer/shorter depending on the material.
With that being said, I'm not too worried about the virus and haven't really taken any extra pre-cautions other than washing my hands more often (especially after just receiving a package from Seattle).
Yes I am slightly worried about my 90+ year old grandparents, but for the time being I'm not concerned about my personal health/

Just avoid too much unnecessary contact and wash your hands ;-)
1.jpg

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm waiting for packages from UK and Japan. I'm always calmed and reasonable, and not afraid at all. But the damage is already done, by media, and a lot of misinformation. Shelves are empty, people went mad. Today I couldn't find any flour to buy, yesterday no alcohol at the Pharmacy (I use it for usual cleaning, has nothing to do with the virus).

This panic affected people who are prone to panic, as my dad is, and now this is another problem, to calm people down.

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's hard to get a handle on the death rate because it's not always clear what the population is -- people who get the virus? people in the whole population of a country who may or may NOT have gotten the virus? People who end up symptomatic? People who have gotten tested and THEN died? Really hard to figure out from what you hear.

Waiting a few days might be the easiest, but at that point you are probably only defending against coronavirus from postal workers. I guess you could also wear rubber gloves while unwrapping and then put the wrapping in the trashcan, leaving only the stuff INSIDE the outer wrapping. Then wash your hands with the gloves and then take the gloves off. Then if the trip took at least a few days you'd probably be fine. I just open them up myself so far though.

Plus with a watch, you might have to sign for the package, which means touching the signature device and pen and the outer part of the package, unless you are wearing gloves before opening the door. I know, paranoid much. I am 62 though.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
... I know, paranoid much. I am 62 though.
No, not paranoid at all.

And here lies the problem, NOT doing anything makes the problem escalate more quickly, not enough has been done already, meaning the virus has already taken a foothold unchecked.

Every little extra thing you can do to avoid infection makes a BIG difference in the spread.

So don't feel silly when you take extra precaution, you are the smart one and your loved ones around you will benefit just as much.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Of course we digress from the thread title but there are important things to discuss ....

Not being Danish, but living here, I can for once applaud Denmark's (political) move to shut their borders and restrict human interactions. It won't prevent or kill the virus, but what it hopefully does is to buy time. The health services can provide only so much help, they have only so much oxygen aid equipment for people who need it. They don't want to end up in the situation like now in Italy were they simply ran out of everything and doctors have to decide who to give help, who gets an oxygen mask, or who has to die. Doctors and nurses ran out of protective clothing and have to wear the same for days on end.
Hoping, as what has happened in China, that restricting human interactions will slow down the parabolic spreading curve and therefor doesn't overwhelm the health-system. The whole thing may take longer, but at least there is hopefully a chance to save more people.
Also, for once in a long time, people have been given priority over the mighty economy. That fantasy bubble was about to burst anyhow, all it needed was a pin ...

·
Registered
531 Posts
In the UK, postal workers now have the instruction that if they have a 'signed for' parcel that they put it on the doorstep, knock, step back, wait for the door to be opened, check name, then sign off the parcel with 'CV19', meaning that they are kept away from the addressee (hopefully, they'll be wearing gloves to handle parcels & letters anyway)

1 - 20 of 640 Posts